Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01/02/2008, 08:25 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
GFI!

I know they're good because they can save your life etc etc etc....

BUT!

I've been up in NC for the past few days, trolling on 56k (painful experience if you ask me), and my tank has been home, being watched by friends. The lights and CO2 solenoid are on the Aquatronica, so they were fine, however because I don't have an expansion port, and some other assorted reasons, I don't have the main pump nor powerheads on the controller. But I do have them on a GFI, where I do not have the AT on a GFI.

Long story short, The GFI tripped, so my tank has been without flow for... It looks like maybe 12-24 hours... while I wasn't home. The g/f checked in the morning, everything looked fine, then she checked while I was 11hours into my 12 hour drive, and all the pumps were off and the LPS looked a bit funky. I came home to find that the GFI tripped, and that ALL flow was off.

So far, the corals and all look okay, the only thing is my new christmas wrasse is... not looking good. Gills flared, he's spasming backwards, kept in tight bundles. I fed the tank, he snapped out of his funk, ate some nori and now he's back to it again, except upside down, curled up, still flaring his gills. I know the tank has ich, but he should be used to it by now.

As I write this, my parents are telling me that he's swimming again, somewhat erraticly. I fed nori, mysis, and pellets, giving him as much food as he could eat. I'll keep this thread updated.

Point is - I don't trust GFI anymore. I've been shocked before by the tank. Death is for the weak

Last edited by bertoni; 01/04/2008 at 10:04 PM.