Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12/28/2007, 09:42 PM
The Squirrel Never Sleeps

Unhappy I'm Done: Dory, 1995(?) - December 28, 2007

I need a good reason not to break down my reef tank and sell everything.

Our beloved Dory (Hippo Tang) died today. If ever a fish was a pet and member of our family, Dory was that fish.

Dory (c.1995 to December 28, 2007)

If I had half the fighting spirit and will to live that this fish taught us all, I would be a far better person than I am. I can't even begin to recollect the trials and tribulations that this fish endured due to my poor husbandry and the travels I made him endure. Let me try to recount:
  • FOUR tank moves (from Summit, NJ to Huntington Station, NY, to Commack NY, to our present abode).
  • Numerous bouts of ich
  • Horrible HLLE
  • One THREE day power outage in NJ, of course in the dead of winter. The temperature in the tank dropped incredibly to 52 degrees for three days. Incredibly Dory survived
  • A few other power failures
  • Other power problems due to among other things leak in the return that shorted out the wires; water dripping from the back of the tank shorting out a powerstrip, and other incidents of dubious distinction.
  • Poor husbandry (including improper nutrition for years --- not knowing about it's need for algae, and nori), and infrequent/insufficient water changes, etc.)
  • I could go on...
Dory had more lives than the three of our cats put together. I can't even begin to count the number of times that we thought Dory was dead. But, she was playing opossum. What a joker she was.

She will be dearly missed.

And, now I contemplate taking down and selling my entire reef system. Only Tracy is keeping me from doing it --- she says we have the other fish to care for.

What shall we do?