Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12/23/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

new to hobby

I am attempting to set up a new tank for seahorses. My husband has an elaborate setup and is experienced in reef care but not seahorse care. I am starting small just to see if I am able to keep them alive and thriving. I am starting with a 10 gallon hex tank, standard hood and light that was included. my husband bought the heater and hand on the back filter, I trust he knew what he was doing. My question is....I put black sand in it and my husband said I could take some sand from his tank that has been set up for over a year now. How long do I need to wait to put his and in to my tank. He put 5 gallons of water from his tank and 5 gallons fresh saltwater in there. We did it this morning. Can I go ahead and add his live sand to the tank or should I wait a few days. We haven't tested the water or anything yet. He said to wait a few days but I am impatient... I have been reading over the forum but any and all advice is welcome. I haven't read much about success rate in such a small tank though. I am planning on a larger tank if I am successful but probably only a 20 gallon or so.