Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08/14/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy Pictures of destruction

I've posted about this in the "new to the hobby" forum, but it was suggested that I try here as well.

Long intro:

I have had three healthy zoanthid colonies start to disappear overnight. There were no white or brown spots, no changes in levels, temperature, flow or even new livestock additions; they'd be open and vibrant one day and the next day polyps would be missing.

It took me a while to get the bright idea to look after the lights went out, and when I did, I found the zoa colonies were crawling with pods of all sizes. After some debate, I added a mandarin fish (which I will gladly supplement pods for in the hopes it could save my zoas right now). After about a week there was no improvement, only more deterioration, and I looked again... The remaining pods are too large for my mandarin's mouth but are definitely chowing down on my polyps.

My questions:

1) Many people have told me repeatedly that pods don't eat healthy zoas. Does anyone have experience to the contrary?

2) Has anyone had this problem and found a good solution?

3) If my zoas are sick, what can I do to figure out what's wrong with them other than a visual check? There are no white or brown spots and no signs of stress until the pods move in.

Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Also: the tank has been up for one year, this problem started 2-3 weeks ago, Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0, Nitrates are barely more than 0 (color chart skips from 0- 5.0, water tests closer to 0), pH 8.2, Salinity 1.024.

Thanks,
Joy