Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07/10/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

Please help me pic a nano (RSM or JBJ 28gal. 150 HQI)?!?

Alright here I go.... I have a 55 gal. that is dry right now and i am currently trying to sell it. I plan on buying a nano within the next month. My problem is which one to buy. I'll start with the RSM.

Looks great when set up and gives me an extra 6 gallons. I have read just about every forum and thread on them and for the most part every owner seems to love theirs. The only negative about the tank they speak of is the skimmer which i would probably replace anyways (supposedly ineffective and very loud) and micro bubbles but that is supposedly an easy fix. I have found the RSM for $680 with the stand on superfishstore.com and that seems to be the cheapest. I do question the lighting 2X55 watt (T5??) i have heard that it is not actual t5 lighting and is actually power compact?

Now the JBJ 150 HQI

I have seen a photo of it set up at some LFS and it does look pretty amazing. The 150watt MH looks great and will be more than enough lighting to keep just about anything. It is 6 gal. less than the RSM and it is also brand new and i'm not sure i want to be one of the guinea pigs!! $630 seems to be the average price for tank and stand. Not wanting to be a guinea pig makes me look at previous jbj nanos and it seems like they all require upgrades such as pumps for flow and lighting (wont be necessary with the HQI I believe) but i'm sure the skimmer is not the greatest. Also with metal halide there is the issue of heat, will probably have to get a chiller wich will cost around $300.

I would like to have an bta or carpet anenome and i am pretty sure the lighting in the RSM would not be sufficient enough. I would also like to keep a clam too.

Both systems seem to be pretty well thought out for the money i'm just torn between the two....

Please tell me what you all think RSM owners and soon to be or current JBJ 150 HQI owners!! I'm sure i have left out some details, pros and cons so fill in the blanks i left. Give me everything you know to help me make the best decision. Thanks all for your input.