Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/02/2005, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

How long will your UPS work

Can you please try your UPS out and tell me how long it runs for
Old 08/03/2005, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

I have an old APC 1400 running my Red Sea wavemaker. The wavemaker runs a Mag 3 return and 3 maxijets (900, 600, 600). It will last at least 3-4 hrs. I haven't run it down completely yet, so that's all I have.
Old 08/03/2005, 08:01 AM
Moved On

The length that a UPS can power something varies on the UPS. It'll say on the box what it'll run for.

In the office at the house we have 4 UPS' that run 4 computers and the server for 5+ hours. The bigger they are, the more pricey but its for my business and we cannot afford to be without power.

Just do your research and homework and make your decision based off of that.
Old 08/03/2005, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

I have an old industrial Tripplite 1000va UPS with 2 external 12v deepcycle batteries (wired in series) that I have calculated will run my Mag18 sump return pump for ~18hours due to the draw from the pump.

The longest I have actually used the UPS for so far is 12hours.

It's great to have the peace of mind not having to worry about that....
Old 08/03/2005, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

The UPS will consume a certain wattage all by itself with no load just to keep itself running. Newer UPSs will specify this no-load runtime, as well as certain runtimes with specific loads. Any published spec is always optimistic based on new batteries, so it's best to run a test to be sure, but the spec will get you in the range you're looking for. You can always, as tang_man says, use large or very large external batteries to extend runtime.
Old 08/03/2005, 09:01 AM
Got Blues?

I've heard using large marine batteries with a inverter works great and its much cheaper. Plus if you kill the battery you can charge it up with your car. Just make sure you have a spare battery or just use you car battery while your charging the other one.
Old 08/03/2005, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

Thats somewhat helpfull but what are the wattage ratings on those pumps? How long do you think I could run a blueline 30HD running for on a 200 dollar UPS? Its ratted at 90 watts
Old 08/03/2005, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

for an APC, go here, then click "Configure by load"

<http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm>
Old 08/03/2005, 01:13 PM
Got Blues?

I bought on of these:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3&sku=ULT31502

what a waist of money, I have it running a mag9.5 rated at about 100watts. The UPS will run it for about 30 seconds. On the box they claim "will run a 15" monitor for 3 hours" I'm thinking that they are talking about a LCD because most CRT's run about 75watts. An LCD half of that
Old 08/03/2005, 01:28 PM
Premium Member

This subject comes up from time to time...

You CAN NOT run a pump from a standard low end UPS. A typical desktop or consumer UPS puts out a modified sine wave or a stepped square wave. Running a pump (a motor) off of such a waveform will cause the motor to overheat and/or damage to the motor and UPS.

A technical explanation can be proovided but is not likely needed. The only thing you need to know is that a "true sine wave output" is the only thing you can use. Higher end UPS and inverter units have such an output. It will be clearly stated in the specs. If it is not clearly stated, then the unit is a modified sine wave unit... its that simple.

If you are using a unit that does not output a true sine wave AND your pump seems to run now... you are asking for trouble down the road. You should be warned that the results may be spectacular depending on the UPS. It may just stop working, or it could catch on fire.

Bean
Old 08/03/2005, 02:01 PM
Got Blues?

Thats very good to know. I would have much rather have spent $400 and got a good one but my wife would kill me. Well for no I think I'm going to remove it. Thanks for the info
Old 08/03/2005, 02:17 PM
Got Blues?

I beat this one will do the trick.
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...e_sku=SUA750XL
Old 08/03/2005, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
This subject comes up from time to time...

You CAN NOT run a pump from a standard low end UPS. A typical desktop or consumer UPS puts out a modified sine wave or a stepped square wave. Running a pump (a motor) off of such a waveform will cause the motor to overheat and/or damage to the motor and UPS.

Righty-o! Forgot that little tidbit. Good stuff.

The smart-UPS models from APC output a true sine wave.
The BackUps series DO NOT.

BTW: I do run a tiny MiniJet 404 in a nano tank on a BackupUps and it works OK. I wouldn't try this with anything any larger. MaxiJets certainly don't like the stepped sine wave.
Old 08/03/2005, 02:33 PM
Got Blues?

I really feel stupid now. I pick that cheapy up at Tigerdirect before I went on vacation. If my pump fails my overflow breaks siphon and I didn't want to worry about that while I was gone. When I return everything was fine. I had no idea that the UPS and/or pump could possible fail or worse start a fire.
Thanks guys a defiantly going to invest in that APC.
Old 08/03/2005, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

There are many options aside from APC. I just mentioned those because I have a few that were given to me needing new batteries. I installed new batteries and the work fine. The older 1400 APCs are available CHEAP!!!

<http://www.refurbups.com/s.nl/c.3067...it.A/id.588/.f>
Old 08/03/2005, 02:45 PM
Got Blues?

Wow, why so cheap and with a new battery
Thanks
Old 08/03/2005, 02:47 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

I ran one Tunze 6100 on an APC 1000kva for over 4 hours yesterday and the UPS read 50%

(not on purpose by the way....)

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 08/03/2005, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loweryster
Wow, why so cheap and with a new battery
Thanks
They are discontinued by APC. There were thousands of these installed in data centers and comm closets all over the world. When companies upgrade or rebuild these facilities, they tend to toss them. They get recycled because of the lead content and salvage value. The refurbs are available for a little more than the cost of a new battery pair. They work. No-brainer.

The 1400 isn't the only game in town, either. Just happens to be what I have. Here are some more.

<http://www.refurbups.com/s.nl/c.3067.../category.3/.f>

I imagine shipping won't be really cheap, but still...
Old 08/03/2005, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Forgot to mention. Important. If you replace the battery in one of these 1400's, don't get the cheap crap chinese batteries at Batteries Plus. They aren't up to spec - the voltage reads a bit low. So when the power goes out, the thing starts screaming almost immediately because it thinks that the battery is almost dead. It does this for hours because the battery voltage is a bit low. Yep, it runs for a long time, but it's darned annoying.

Another problem with these cheap-o chinese batteries they sold me: The fuse mounts are in the wrong place. I had to hack the fuse to connect it.
Old 08/03/2005, 04:23 PM
Got Blues?

The replacement battery these come with are no problem right?
Your talking about batteries plus online right?
Old 08/03/2005, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loweryster
The replacement battery these come with are no problem right?
I believe so. I've never bought one from the refurb outlet. I almost did, but someone gave me another one! They are warrantied, so it should be fine.

Quote:

Your talking about batteries plus online right?
I'm speaking specifically about two batteries I got at Batteries Plus recently.
Old 08/03/2005, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

How often do you think you'd need to replace batteries. bgi thank you.
Old 08/03/2005, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

Batteries are good for about 18-36 months depending on the actual brand and plate technology. Most will show a marked degredation after 18 months. Once they start to decline the process is somewhat logrithmic. This happens even if the cells are never used under load and kept fully charged.

This is simply a limitation of the technology. Repeated deep discharged shorten the life also. With some types of cells, a regular discharge and recharge will help keep the plates clean.

Bean
Old 08/03/2005, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

What Bean said. ;-) I've used an APC 1400 on my computers for many years and typically go 5 years between battery changes. After 5 years the battery lasts about 2 seconds.
Old 08/03/2005, 09:05 PM
Premium Member

I replace my clients batteries every 18 months. We don't even bother testing them. It is just part of the maintenance schedule. 36 months is asking for problems in most cases. The same goes for your car battery. Most people don't notice the reduced capacity until they leave the lights on with a 3 year old battery.

Bean