Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/10/2004, 10:47 AM
Queen Premium Member

Well, I think my coral has now passed away, it's completly retracted and has white slimey stuff all over it. Craig Chadwell from Pet solutions has e-mailed me that he actually has read the post here at RC and is aware of the elegance problem and is going to fully refund my money and is even going as far as to stop selling the elegance. I'm taking my coral out of the tank today. If you want it, let me know.

Amanda
Old 02/10/2004, 10:51 AM
Queen Premium Member

Here is the e-mail I have received from Petsolutions...

Amanda:

Thanks for the e-mail. I was just reading the Reef Central post on the Elegance from the Research Biologist at the University of Houston.

It is obviously a disease that is progressive as our husbandry team is certainly aware of the potential and would have caught it. I have no problem doing what it takes to make you happy. After reading his studies, I am concerned that any others that we (or that anyone else) might ship you have a great risk of developing the same problem. Yours is the first problem that I have heard of with the Cataphyllia.

I will credit you for the Elegance and let you make the decision. If you want to include it in your next order, please feel free to do so. Is that fair?

Feel free to reply e-mail or call (800.737.3868) with questions. We are here for you.

Sincerely,
Craig Chadwell
Live Deliveries Manager
Old 02/10/2004, 11:40 AM
Reef Central Sponsor

Amanda- If you decide to include this coral in the study, please contact Craig again and see if he can get specific collection data on this coral. That may prove helpful. You can send the images you have and that info for inclusion in the site we are doing.

Send the info and images to : spollock@carolina.rr.com and I will get them on the site when you decide one way or the other about donating the specimen.

Craig: If you are reading this, thank you for your proactive judgement. Any chance you have some still there that you can photograph and obtain the info? If need be I will purchase them and have them shipped to Eric if they fit the description of this condition.

Contact me at the above email address or on the ECP site under the "Webmaster" tab.
http://www.reefobsession.com/ecp

Thank you all!
Old 02/10/2004, 02:28 PM
Eric Borneman

If the coral is not dead, then please try and fix it as quickly as possible in 70% ethanol as directed in the beginning of this thread and send it. Thanks. email me with specific inquiries.
Old 02/10/2004, 05:09 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

***************** THANK YOU ************** THANK YOU *************THANK YOU!

................................... Logan J at .............................

******************************* CaptiveRaisedCorals.com *******************************

......................................$25..........................................
Old 02/10/2004, 06:01 PM
Queen Premium Member

I can't do it. I"m sorry, I just can't murder it. I still feel guilty for murdering my mantis shrimp. I can't kill this coral, it still feeds.

Amanda
Old 02/10/2004, 06:16 PM
Eric Borneman

Allrightee.....

I understand. I think of it as euthanasia, since the coral is obviously "suffering" and will die. And, it will hopefully prevent the death of others. But, its a personal decision. I respect you for it.
Old 02/10/2004, 06:24 PM
Queen Premium Member

If you want to come and get it, I'll be more than happy to hand it over for you to do what ever you want to with it, I'll even make you lunch I don't know what to do, I want to help, I really do! SO, I just pick it up and drop it in a bag of grain alcohol? Will it take long to die, will it freak out? Will it cry?
Old 02/10/2004, 07:13 PM
forever newbie

Eric,
Here's a half dicent pic of one of the two specimens that I had found.If image isn't good enough to see anything,let me know and I'll make another trip tomorrow and bring my tipod.I didn't want them to handle the coral and it was way back in the tank.

"The rivers may flow away from us,but the rains are brought to us.With prayer that we may all live in peace."
Anthony Calfo
Old 02/10/2004, 07:14 PM
forever newbie

Hmmm, for some reason it did not attach
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sick-elegance2.jpg (49.0 KB, 194 views)

"The rivers may flow away from us,but the rains are brought to us.With prayer that we may all live in peace."
Anthony Calfo
Old 02/10/2004, 07:16 PM
forever newbie

One more, this one is quite bad after shrinking

PS.Forgot to say that both came out of Jakarta.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sick elegance.jpg (44.4 KB, 188 views)

Anthony Calfo
Old 02/10/2004, 08:01 PM
Eric Borneman

Not really classic, but pretty sure this is it. The second one moreso. Its sometimes hard to tell the difference in a late progression of this condition, unexpanded and unhappy, stressed, or what. The opacitiy on the tentacles of the second one is a pretty good bet, and the edges of the first, but not sure. I'd take them both as perhaps they will be the saem, and perhaps it will show up as another pathology because this looks more like the sick elegance 3 I acquired that was in worse shape than elegance 2...

Amanda: If you can send or post a photo, I could tell you a lot more - like if it is what we are looking for, but if sounds like it. In terms of the process, the ethanol will kill it fairly quickly, but let me say this...

Corals are extremely primitive animals. They have no centralized nerve structure, not even ganglia. They do not have pain receptors and nothing to receive the signal if they did. They have what is called a nerve net, a simple structure of response structures. They are very receptive to "smells" but only in a retract or expand sense.

Your mantis shrimp, in comparison, is very advanced, very aware, and very smart. It is probably sentient to some extent. Clams are very advanced by comparison. Corals are not. It will feel no pain and certainly seems even theoretically less that what it is likley going through right now.
Old 02/10/2004, 08:15 PM
forever newbie

Eric,

I'll be in the store tomorrow to arrange for shippment and I'll oversee or remove them myself with gloved hands and will prepare the bags with oxygen.
I have the address for shipping and the phone.

On a side note,Eric, in person they look much worse and it is due to my poor photography skills that I couldn't capture this clear enough for you to see. I'll try again tomorrow when I'll take it out of the tank,perhaps I will be able to take better images.

Oh,yes, which day this week is convinient for you to recieve this shippment?

Anthony Calfo
Old 02/10/2004, 09:57 PM
Queen Premium Member

OK, here are some pics I took today of my healthy one and my sick one. If you are sure it won't feel pain, then I suppose I can send it. It still breaks my heart and I would rather send it alive. I have a perfect box that I received a coral from today to ship it in. I even have heat packs. Are you sure you don't want it alive? It still eats, I just fed it today.

Here is the healthy one
[img]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=39162&cat=500&thumb=1[img]
[img]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26172&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500[img]

Here is my tank, you can see both elegances
[img]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26171&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500[img]
[img]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26174&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500[img]

Here is the poor little sick one
[img]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26173&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500[img]
[img]http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=26175&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500[img]

Amanda
Old 02/10/2004, 09:59 PM
Queen Premium Member

oops, oh well, I guess I blew that one. How in the world do you get pics to show up on the post? I thought I followed directions!
Anyway, look in my gallery.
Old 02/10/2004, 10:10 PM
forever newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by AEALOVESHERGIRLS
oops, oh well, I guess I blew that one. How in the world do you get pics to show up on the post? I thought I followed directions!
Anyway, look in my gallery.
Amanda,

Try enclosing url with those [IMG][/IMG], it seems that you are missing the backslash in the back tag.Also, make sure that you copy url from properties and not from the top of the page(address)

Like this

Anthony Calfo
Old 02/10/2004, 10:18 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

******* THANK YOU! *********** THANK YOU! ************* THANK YOU!

.................................. Al DeCrescenzo ...............................

..............................................$30........................................
Old 02/10/2004, 10:19 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

WOW ... Gene ... That is a gorgeous picture!
Old 02/10/2004, 10:23 PM
Queen Premium Member

Thanks, it's mine!

Check out my gallery.

Amanda
Old 02/10/2004, 10:24 PM
forever newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by crpeck
WOW ... Gene ... That is a gorgeous picture!
Oh NO, this is not my picture, I was just trying to help Amanda to post her pic and used it as an example.Sorry for the confusion but I agree, it is a great picture

Anthony Calfo
Old 02/10/2004, 10:25 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

I just did! Great pictures. Gorgeous Elegance.

A nice inspiration to remind us what we're all working toward here with this project.

Cathy
Old 02/10/2004, 10:26 PM
Queen Premium Member

Thanks!!
Old 02/11/2004, 08:26 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

************ THANKS! ************THANKS! *************THANKS!

.................................. Reef Cherie .............................

..........................................$20...................................

************** We're at $695! ****************

Who is going to be the one to push us over $700?????

All donations, large or small will help accomplish Eric's research! Every donor is a part of this project! Keep 'em coming.

****************** THANKS! *******************

For PayPal:
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/busine...rency_code=USD

Or mail a check:
Elegance Coral Project
c/o Catherine Peck, CPA
6387 Brooks Manor Cove
Memphis, TN 38119
Old 02/12/2004, 08:57 AM
Eric Borneman

Gene: thanks. I'll be looking for them
Amanda: it appears that at least one of your photos shows an elegance coral with the condition I am interested in.

Thanks, everyone, for the donations to date. I'll try to do a progress summary and make sure the website is updated within the next few days...as you might imagine, my email over-runneth right now with inquiries and information regarding this project. I am trying to keep up and sort through it all. be patient with me.

thanks....and find me some more sick corals!!
Old 02/12/2004, 09:10 AM
Queen Premium Member

OK, my coral is now covered with white slime every morning and it has stopped feeding. It is definetly still alive though. I'm ready to send it to Coral heaven. So, I put it in 70% pure grain alcohol and 30% water? Is that RO water? I will ship it UPS NEXT Day Air to try to preserve as much as possible, OR I will try to ship it alive. Which do you want?

Amanda