Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/03/2004, 10:14 PM
niiiiiiice car

This is really interesting! I'm still trying to figure out what you are trying to do, but what I have read so far, it sounds very interesting. I don't think I can help you at all. If you need a skeleton I may be able to send you one, not sure. 1 lfs around here ALWAYS gets them in. Another got in the first one I have seen in a while it was doing "OK" for the first 2 weeks, now, I see it is struggling. It may finally parish soon. I have never owned one my self. But this is very interesting, I would love to help, but don't really think I can. Just keep me in touch with the progress. Thank you very much, as this will be a very interesting and knowledgeable thread to follow.
Kelly
Old 02/03/2004, 10:30 PM
niiiiiiice car

let me know in anyway that i can help/ I just read the entire thread and it will be a spectacular project. I belong to pmas, a local reef club, maybe we could pull togeather some money, or find some one with a healthy/unhealthy coral? But let me know about the one in the pet shop. It is not dead, just started to decline a few days ago. It is one of the smaller ones i have seen.
Kelly
Old 02/03/2004, 11:25 PM
Eric Borneman

Sam:

I am interested, but want to make sure this is the right condition...sounds like it might be. Can you send me photos?

On the skeleton, yes, I would be happy to take the skeleton if it died from the condition.

On donation amounts, anything helps, even if only to cover a couple hundred mls of a chemical or to pay postage on a sample being sent. Please also consider the list I posted of the manytypes of non-financial contributions to this project that can be valuable with a little legwork at local stores.

As for PMAS, please bring this thread up to your group at the next meeting. See if you guys can visit the local stores and persuade them to send the sick ones to me...we all know they will die in all likelihood. Yes, please ask if the clubs (any of them) can contribute funding, corals, or any of the other items listed in the initial posts of this thread.

Thanks again everyone, and if at any time I fail to thank each of you personally for your support or effort, I apologize now because every stitch of effort means a lot and I deeply appreciate it.

I have just posted some photo links at the beginning of this thread to compare healthy and diseased examples.
Old 02/03/2004, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

Eric:

I assume that you feel that we are dealing with some type of pathogen as the causative agent? I took a look at those pictures, very interesting to see the changes. This appears very much like a "shut down" type of syndrome, for lack of a better term. Do you know if this will spread from a sick coral in a tank to healthy corals in the same tank? You also mentioned that you have not observed this condition in the wild. So, can we postulate that it may be a result of collection, transfer, and contact with other corals/organisms, or a combination of these? I'm anxious to learn what your findings will be! Thanks for the time.

Steve (Reef Diver)
Old 02/04/2004, 12:11 AM
Moved On

Eric,A couple specimens just arrived at LFS,They were from Bali,I noticed a tiny little crab similar to a gall crab only smaller.Is this common?They are being held to see if any are showing symptoms.I have arranged to purchase one and will keep you posted.Would a healthy one or diseased be of more value to you at this point?
Old 02/04/2004, 12:44 AM
Eric Borneman

Dave:
Hang on to that crab!! That can go in alcohol. This may be an issue. If you can send photos prior to purchase let me know. I want to keep a scorecard of donated speciments so we don;t get more than we have to, esepcially in terms of healthy ones. Once we reach the 5-10 number of healthy ones, we shouldn't spend any more resources on those. I have one of them in my tank, of course. Maybe we can put a running tally on the developing website?

Steve: I have no idea if it is a pathogen, but it is certainly possible, and I just don;t wnat any cross contamination if it is a component.

As for contagion, I have no idea but will find out this I assure you. I suspect that the white web is secondary, bacterial, and probably contagious. I don;t think the initial condition is, except maybe to other elegance, but I don;t know. That's why we are doing this.

Steve, also, as for our problems with email, I am going to pm you via the forum with all the email I have sent that you haven;t gotten.
Old 02/04/2004, 12:45 AM
Eric Borneman

Oh - and if someone does want to set up the site, give me the server addy and any passwords so I can work on the site, too, if you want. If no one has the space/time, then I can do it on my page, too, although space will likely be limited as I have really packed that site already and have lots to go.
Old 02/04/2004, 01:39 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Okay all you reefers out there! Eric is starting to get corals and this project is rolling. Had bad would it be for all of us to encourage Eric to roll on this and then leave him stuck holding the bag for all the cost?

I noticed there have been 352 views on this thread so far. If we had only $10 for every view, we'd already have all the money needed for the first phase of this project.

Who out there wants to be part of making a difference?????

I'm still waiting to see who will have the honor of being the very FIRST contributor to this Elegance Coral Project. How about you?

I can take PayPal at crpeck@midsouth.rr.com Just note the payment for the Elegance Project in the message.

Or you can send a check to:

Elegance Coral Project
c/o Catherine Peck, CPA
6387 Brooks Manor Cove
Memphis, TN 38119

I will post THANKS and congratulations on this thread for every donation I receive on Eric's behalf.

Big or small ... it all adds up.

THANKS!!!!!

Cathy
Old 02/04/2004, 01:41 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Oops, typo ...

I meant ..... HOW BAD would it be for us to leave Eric holding the bag?

It would be REALLY bad, y'all so let's get going and chip in.

THANKS again!
Cathy
Old 02/04/2004, 08:05 AM
niiiiiiice car

Ok, I will send out my $10 today for you. I will also send an email out to pmas members to see if we all can't help in some way, or some people can go to stores to see if we can get them to donate the sick corals to you.
Are you interested in the DYING elegance coral, or do you want it when it is finally dead? One affect would be their are many many red flat worms in the tank.
It looks like the tenticals are all deflated and pulled in, and it sticks its mouth or center out. It really dosn't look good.
Kelly
Old 02/04/2004, 08:42 AM
Eric Borneman

Dying.
Old 02/04/2004, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Got the address.

Elegance Coral Project
c/o Catherine Peck, CPA
6387 Brooks Manor Cove
Memphis, TN 38119

But who should the check be made out to, Catherine?
Old 02/04/2004, 12:58 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

I think you can do either. I'm planning to put "Elegance Coral Project" on the Bank account, but since we're not formally set up as a organization yet, the account is probably going to have to be under my name for now.

Both names will be on the account, so I'm sure they'll deposit either way.

Thanks!
Cathy
Old 02/04/2004, 05:21 PM
Moved On

crpeck,I sent my donation via paypal last night.Have you received it yet?
Old 02/04/2004, 05:31 PM
niiiiiiice car

ok, i will be going to the lfs soon. I will see what they can do about the elegance.
Kelly
Old 02/04/2004, 05:38 PM
Moved On

Eric,I'm e'mailing you a pic of Elegance,the one with crab.I would post it bere but i'm kinda a newbie when it comes to posting pics and re-sizing them
Old 02/04/2004, 06:58 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Congratulations!

David Jones is the FIRST to contribute to the project!

Thanks for the $30
Old 02/04/2004, 07:21 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

THANK YOU!

Randall Douglass

Another $15
Old 02/04/2004, 07:56 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Sorry I spelled your name wrong.

Actually, you all may not want me to put your names? Sorry if you didn't.

For the future, please let me know with your donation how you want me to acknowledge.

THANKS for the help so far!

Cathy
Old 02/05/2004, 12:11 AM
Premium Member

No problem, Kathy. I mean Cathy...
now we're even.

Eric: FWIW, I have an apparently healthy elegance in my tank since May of 20003. Not real anxious to part with it of course. If you need an illustrator/designer's help with the project let me know. Good luck.
Old 02/05/2004, 12:12 AM
Premium Member

whoa...I meant 2003...
Old 02/05/2004, 08:08 AM
Reef Central Sponsor

Anyone with photgraphs or high quality images of Elegance Corals (healthy or not) please send them to me at spollock@carolina.rr.com so that they can be included on the website we are setting up for this project.

Please only send me files in .jpg format so that I can get them on the site without too much editing. Also please provide accurate tank information (size, water params, lighting...etc) and photo credit info.

The site is active but still going thru some changes so bear with me for a few more days.

http://www.reefobsession.com/ecp
Old 02/05/2004, 09:13 AM
Eric Borneman

Randall: Hold that thought. Let's see how we do with acquisition. If healthy tissue becomes a problem, maybe a little snip of tissue as described in the description would suffice. We may not need it at all, but thanks for the heads up.
Old 02/05/2004, 12:44 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

THANK YOU!!!!

Dash4Cash-Racing

********* $50 **********

WOW!!!
Old 02/05/2004, 12:51 PM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

and .... MORE THANKS! .......

To Jennifer Tomczak

******* $30 *******

Keep it coming ........... You all are doing great!

We're up to $175 !!!!!!!!!