Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2006, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Post Filter Floss

I have read about people replacing standard sponge filters with Filter floss. Is this a better filter? I just purchased 4oz. Avalon Bay Filter Floss and am wondering how much to add and will it improve water quality. I have a 24 gal nano cube.
Old 12/13/2006, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

I don't use sponge filters or filter floss. They are nitrate factories. Unless you clean them at least once a week you will have nitrate problems.
Old 12/13/2006, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

So should I eliminate all of my sponges? And how much floss would be needed? Is there need to clean the floss?
Old 12/13/2006, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

I would eliminate all sponges, live rock is your main source of filtration.It gets rid of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If you did run filter floss you would have to clean it so you do not have high nitrates. Nitrates cause algae booms in tanks, and they are bad for corals, especially sps.
Old 12/13/2006, 11:19 PM
A.K.A. colinadam

Hey, I have the same tank as you and use filter floss.

Put it in chamber 1 towards the top so the first thing the water hits when it goes to the back chamber is the floss. It will catch all of the floating detrius that goes back there.

When I do my weekly water changes I take it out and throw it away and add new floss (about a handful).

Use it once, when you pull it out and it's all brown with crap you'll see why you need it
Old 12/14/2006, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

Thank you very much That was the answer I was looking for. Do you have any sponges in your tank? or just floss.
Old 12/14/2006, 12:14 AM
A.K.A. colinadam

Just floss, I found the sponge to hard to rinse out. I never thought I was getting all the crap out of the middle. I have heard of people cutting the sponge in half and putting both halves in, easier to clean.
When dealing with filter floss just make sure that:
It doesn't have any chemical coating on it. If it says it's flame retardent then you don't want to use it.
Make sure you pull all the old floss weekly, a small clump got way down in the bottom of the chamber and I didn't realize it until my water parameters got out of whack. Now I use a smaller clump and make sure to get it all.

You didn't ask but:

Below the sponge I have Chemi-Pure, Middle Chamber I use Purigen (awesome, if you don't have it yet get it) & heater & Chamber 3 I upgraded the return pump to a maxijet 1200.

Are you just starting the Nano or have you had it up and running?
Old 12/14/2006, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

I Have had my tank for a little over 2 years now. It had just soft corals and inverts. Around six months ago i added some fish (maroon clown, orange spot goby, and a tail spot blenny). Then i found this site and had to have sps corals. So i bought the jbj 150 watt mh lamp a small chiller and a rio 6hf. Love the tank now. But as you can see the load went up.

What is Purigen?
Old 12/14/2006, 01:28 AM
Registered Member

any pics
Old 12/14/2006, 09:39 AM
A.K.A. colinadam

Purigen is a water polisher, also helps to remove waste/nitrate. They have it at Dr. Foster & Smith.

Sounds like a cool setup.
Old 12/14/2006, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Is purigen similar to a polyfilter? I've always used them in the past with good success, but I'm not so sure they help with nitrate removal. The polyfilters do seem to act as a water polisher though.

Stephanie
Old 12/14/2006, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

go to walmart and buy pillow stuffing... make sure that its NOT FIRE RETARDANT stuff... its called "morning glory" and its "low loft"... its much cheaper than LFS. you get alot more of it.
GL