Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/22/2005, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

RBTA: Wont stay

Well today I was given an RBTA by a local reefer who heard that I wanted to start breeding but every place where I put the anemone it doesn't stay. what can I do? I dont want it to get sucked up tonight.

help!
Old 11/22/2005, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

i'm thinking of placing it in the sump to attach to a piece of LR, will this work
Old 11/22/2005, 06:56 AM
Moved On

See my web page for covering the intakes. No it won't stay where YOU want it. It is an animal and will go where it will be happy
Old 11/22/2005, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

I'd just let the anemone find where it is happy. What are your tank's specs and water reading? There is a possibility that the anemone isn't happy and is trying to find a better location.
Old 11/22/2005, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

Hey all - well I just got the anemone yesterday so it was probably stressed out from the trip home. anyhow I let it be last night and figuered when it was good and ready that it would find a place it liked. Fortunately I do not have this new tank stocked yet aside for some zoos and rics so it was a seamless transition. The anemone has found a 2x3" piece of Liverock to sit on hopefully it will stay put if I move it but so far things seems to be ok Now I'm crossing my fingers that the clowns will host in it.

I picked up 2 juvies yesterday as well. One larger and one smaller that were in the tank together. It's kinda cool because already they are swimming around together. Hopefully this is a good sign to pairing up.

SG 1.024-1.025
Temp 79-80
Trates 5ppm
Old 11/22/2005, 11:57 AM
Moved In

If your fish are going to take to it they will follow it. Luckily mine has never moved.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 11/23/2005, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

one of the percs started hosting tonight! I was pretty happy about it! the anemone found itself a 2x3" rock and attached last night. phew!

I do have a question though to my knowledge true perculas will darken their colors as they grow correct? The smaller juvie I bought is not as dark as the other but nonetheless they were together in the tank.

now that smaller juvie is by itself and when the clown comes up close to the one hosting it gets chased away. Normal until pairing or do you think I have mature females already? They aren't that big guy told me maybe 6-7 months old.

Old 11/23/2005, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

its normal for the female to chase away the male when she just hosts an anemone but eventually she will let the lil fellow in, soo your RBTA will be a RBTAPL....as in Rose Bubble Tip Anemone Palace of Love congrats im still trying to get a pair of clowns that will host
Old 11/23/2005, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Is it possible that the color difference could mean you have one perc and one occelaris? I often see them in the same tank at the LFS (the good one never does that). Count their dorsal spines.
Old 11/23/2005, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Great tip Jodi, how many spines should I be looking for?

I'm going to check it out today when I get in. Yeah I'm skeptical now I think one of them is an occelaris which would be the smaller one. They both look pretty darn close though and that smaller one just hasn't filled in as much black yet possibly because of the age seems like he's a little bit younger.

LFS told me they were about 6 months old Grrr. It's hard to find a decent FS here in cali that is honest and truthful. I didn't buy them as a pair but the majority all were seperated and these 2 were in a small section by themselves in a display. I had to get them out of there.
Old 11/23/2005, 12:27 PM
Moved In

Mine are not the same color either, so I wouldn't worry too much. If you can get a better picture especially of the eyes, most of the guys here can tell you. Having one of each isn't really a bad thing tho. This is an older picture of my Perculas but they still look different.

Here's my Ocellaris which is much older

Old 11/23/2005, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

I'll try and snap a picture tonight - phew maybe I'll be in good shape. I actually wanted them to pair up and spawn down the road. I'm crossing my fingers that they will.
Old 11/23/2005, 01:17 PM
Moved In

Even if they aren't both the same they can do that. Lot's of the guys here have crossbred fish. This is a Maroon with a Percula or a Ocellaris. The pet store had a bunch of them.

Old 11/23/2005, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

I believe percs have 9 or 10 dorsal spines, and occelaris have 11. Or the other way around.

It can be incredibly difficult to count dorsal spines on a moving fish though. I would just take my DIGITAL camera to the tank and snap 100+ pictures. Then go through and try to find ones that are the best. Post them here and someone will be able to let you know.

The percula/occelaris cross breeding doesn't seem to be that difficult (compared to cross breeding other species). I wouldn't worry about it too much. It would be good for your information, however, to know exactly which species you have.
Old 11/23/2005, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

By the way, that maroon/perc cross breed looks fantastic. I'm in Fort Collins and would probably drive to get a pair of those. What store had them, and do they still have them or was this a while ago?

I wonder who bred them. Probalby someone local?
Old 11/23/2005, 04:19 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by JodiLynn
By the way, that maroon/perc cross breed looks fantastic. I'm in Fort Collins and would probably drive to get a pair of those. What store had them, and do they still have them or was this a while ago?

I wonder who bred them. Probalby someone local?
It was awhile and they didn't last long either. She gets them out of California, so I'm not sure who bred them. They were pretty!

Old 11/23/2005, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

yeah they were some beauties alright! I'll try and get a pic up tonight if time permits, with traffic I don't know if I'll make it home!
Old 11/28/2005, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

I'll get the pic up tonight all but I counted last night and the larger of the 2 clowns has roughyl 9 if I count the smallest and the smaller one seems to have 7? Don't know if this is right.

Anyhow - I've noticed at night the smaller clown is now sleeping next to the anemone but not quite in it... And I have also seen the smaller clown shutter when the larger one goes after him. Every now and again I will notice she takes off with a dart after him but she doesn't do anything. I've then seen the smaller of the two shutter. Does this mean they are pairing up now so soon?