Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

nitrate reactor output >100 nitrates!!

i recently set up a nitrate reactor using refillable di containers (1- sulfur, 2 - argonite). with a drip rate of around 40 drops per minute the nitrates of the effluent are increasing and now are >100.

the nitrates of the tank measure 20. i am concerned that eventually my tank nitrates will be 100 killing all of my sps.

is this normal for the output of the nitrate reactor to increase for a period of time? the nitrate reactor has been set up for 5 days.

second, is it possible that i need more sulfur media - i have thought about adding another unit to give more time for nitrate conversion. (too early though in my opinion)

i would appreciate any help with this. i posted a similar thread a few days ago when my output nitrates were 50 and got no responses. now i am starting to panic.
Old 12/15/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

just to clarify - i used one container for sulfur the other for argonite (not two argonite containers).

thanks
Old 12/15/2007, 04:08 PM
See if you can pingaso it

your flow rate seems way too high ... i would take that thing offline until you figure out the problem
Old 12/15/2007, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

i thought a starting flow rate was around 60 drops per minute.
Old 12/15/2007, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

Is this a DIY unit?
Old 12/15/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

yes, i got the ideal from a recent thread where some members had success with this unit.

i used a maxi jet 400 into two di units with refillable canisters. the first canister is filled with sulfur (LGM from marine depot) and the second with argonite (same brand).

i started the drip rate at 60/min. currently i have turned off the unit - my thought is to let the reactions in the sulfur chamber turn anaerobic since there is no flow. i was going to turn it back on soon with a slow flow rate of about 30 drops/min.

does anyone think this is a good idea?