Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/09/2004, 10:37 AM
I support GSDRNI.org

SPS colonies for sale

Due to my screwed up work schedule, I'm posting this today instead of tomorrow to accommodate anyone that might wish to drop by over the weekend.

Here's the story.....My Father in law down in Myrtle Beach is friends with a LFS owner. When my Father in law mentioned to him that I had lost most of my corals in June, he offered to "cut me a good deal" when I was ready to restock. So....being the overzealous person that I am, I now have two full boxes of SPS coral colonies that were delivered yesterday. His terms were that I pay $50 per box over his cost plus shipping. As it stands right now I have 20 SPS colonies that I will have to get rid of very quickly....my tank can't handle that sort of bioload for very long. I'll be doing 10% water changes daily until they're gone. For me to break even, I will have to sell the colonies for $40 to $50, but that's still a pretty good deal.

Due to my schedule, I will only be available in the morning (9:00 am until about 1:00pm) thru next Wednesday.....I'm going to try to make myself available all day Saturday, but that cannot be guarenteed. After next Wednesday, I will be available from 4pm till 8pm for the next 7 days. The colonies will be sold on a first come first served basis. As soon as I am contacted that someone wants a particular colony, I will consider it sold, but I really can't hold it for more that 3 or 4 days without payment and/or pickup. If need be, I can arrange shipping to the greater chicago area via UPS ground or USPS priority mail. Either one would be delivered overnight (but not guarenteed), and I can probably do up to 3 colonies for $18 to $20 which would include the foam shipping box and cold pack. I can send you the email for my wife's paypal account if you'd like to pay in that manner. LMK if you might have an interest.

All of the coral pics are in my gallery:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showg...at=500&thumb=1
The number at the end of the pic title is the price.

The following have already been spoken for:

Highlander...#16 and #20...(it pays to be the first to respond) Saturday

MHURLEY...#3 and #13 Saturday?

TANK...#7 (so far) Saturday

MARKMAC #10 Friday

IF any of you change your mind or can't make it please let me know. Like I said, my tank can't handle this bioload for too long.

I'm sorry about the quality of the pics....I was in a hurry. I can try to get better individual pics if asked....but we have to work around my silly schedule.

Jeff
Old 09/09/2004, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

I like the following:

Bird (15-50)
Stag (6-50)
Tricolor (1-40)

Is there any chance you'll be travelling anywhere near Chicago in the next few days?

Life is too short to learn everything from experience.
Old 09/09/2004, 11:34 AM
I support GSDRNI.org

Dag....Sorry, I'm not doing any travelling in the near future...I'll be home tending corals and (hopefully) selling some daily until I leave for work at 2pm. Shift work sucks....but it's the price I pay for making your electricity...
IF you can wander on down the I-55 corridor to visit, I can hold the ones you like through the weekend, but that's about it. LMK

Jeff
Old 09/10/2004, 10:50 AM
I support GSDRNI.org

BTW....I'm also entertaining trades.....
Old 09/10/2004, 11:16 AM
Brotherhood Of The Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by jgleach
BTW....I'm also entertaining trades.....
Jeff I have a grown out frag of this available. Its now a small colony about 2 1/2 to 3 inches across.
You can see it in the LHS of the bottom pic above the yellow porite. LMK if you are interested, and we can talk trade on what you have left.
Old 09/10/2004, 12:44 PM
I support GSDRNI.org

Quote:
Originally posted by Highlander
Jeff I have a grown out frag of this available. Its now a small colony about 2 1/2 to 3 inches across.
You can see it in the LHS of the bottom pic above the yellow porite. LMK if you are interested, and we can talk trade on what you have left.
Dave,
Now you've got me interested....what did you have in mind? drop me a pm and we'll see if we can work something out.

BTW...when it was small, did it look something like this? This is one of the corals I just got that I decided to keep.
Old 09/10/2004, 12:51 PM
Brotherhood Of The Reef

This is the original pic of the parent colony:

Looks similar, might be a different color tho', hard to tell.

Will PM on the trade.
Old 09/10/2004, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Jeff - had a great time chatting with you today, after looking at the pieces closely that I got from you I believe you really got the short end of the stick on our deal I'm gonna owe you a few frags. Anyone interested in Jeff's stuff should definitely contact him, it's really great quality.
Old 09/10/2004, 11:32 PM
I support GSDRNI.org

Quote:
Originally posted by markmac71
Jeff - had a great time chatting with you today, after looking at the pieces closely that I got from you I believe you really got the short end of the stick on our deal I'm gonna owe you a few frags. Anyone interested in Jeff's stuff should definitely contact him, it's really great quality.
markmac71...Thanks. I enjoyed meeting you too, and thanks for the kind words on the corals. I wish I could take credit for them, but I've only had them 2 days....Mother Nature did a pretty nice job though....and the short end of a deal is in the eye of the beholder. You know I've been waiting...and am now very happy to have one of these....Thanks.
Old 09/11/2004, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

What is still for sale?
Old 09/11/2004, 08:40 AM
I support GSDRNI.org

Alrighty then....I'll be cranking up the lighting and changing some water in just a few minutes. It looks to me like quite a few folks that are stopping by today are already up and at it here on RC. There might be a time or two that my house gets pretty crowded this morning....works for me...the place is already trashed I'm looking forward to meeting some of you for the first time...and seeing some of you again....and maybe, putting a face with a name if I've already met you at a frag swap.....let the games begin.
Old 09/11/2004, 08:49 AM
I support GSDRNI.org

A Reef Scene......My gallery is pretty much updated....the colonies that are spoken for or already gone are marked sold....with the exception of the bird's nest which is tentatively sold to Arinick (I'll know this morning)...I'm hoping that once those that are stopping by this morning actually see the corals that a few more will go as well.

Jeff
Old 09/11/2004, 09:17 AM
RC Admin

Add #9-$40 to my list.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 09/11/2004, 09:22 AM
I support GSDRNI.org

Mike,
Done
Old 09/11/2004, 12:04 PM
I support GSDRNI.org

WOW! I feel like I just drank a pot of coffee....So many folks to talk to...so little time.Thanks to everybody that came by this morning. I'm a lot closer to feeling better about this whole endeavor now that many of the colonies are sold. I'm going to remove the ones that are sold from my gallery and maybe tomorrow try to get some better pics of what's left...but although hectic, I really enjoyed meeting everybody this morning...and I got some nice frags too
Old 09/11/2004, 01:12 PM
I support GSDRNI.org

One more thing....Highlander.....Your idea of a frag/small colony seems to be a little different than most
THANKS! I LOVE IT!
Old 09/12/2004, 12:23 AM
Premium Member

Any chance your uncle would be willing to ship another box ... maybe this time to my house.

Old 09/12/2004, 12:49 AM
Brotherhood Of The Reef

Quote:
Originally posted by jgleach
One more thing....Highlander.....Your idea of a frag/small colony seems to be a little different than most
THANKS! I LOVE IT!
Jeff, you're welcome. I think that we all left happy with what we picked up, everything I got from you looks great. Thanks for organizing this.

Also, thanks to Chris for the blue enchinata, what a great frag.

Sweetwater, Ari, it was also nice to meet you there.

Jim, I told you that you would take something home.

Nice to be able to put a face to the names.

Thx Again.
Dave

Last edited by Highlander; 09/12/2004 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09/12/2004, 01:29 AM
Registered Member

jeff,

Thanks for the ACRO. its in my gallery now with other Tanks pic. I just posted. They were taken under 2x55W Actnic. My 2x250W XM were closed at that time. Still having problem with Canon A70 to take good closeup pictures. My old Olympus was much better then this A70. Unfortunately It broke few months back.

FE
Old 09/12/2004, 08:20 AM
Reef Slave

Jeff,

It was a pleasure meeting you and thanks for the great Tri-Color and orange cap. I told Highlander that I had no intention to buy anything and I ended up walking away with two . Anyway, If uou ever do this again please let us know because it was fun for to pick up great coral and meet new people. Tank, Freshwater, and Ari it was nice to meet you as well.

Tank - Maybe in a couple weeks Highlander and I can take a run to your house to check out your setup and buy some frags.

Thanks again Jeff!
Old 09/12/2004, 08:26 AM
Brotherhood Of The Reef

Good to meet up with you all too. Sure, next time at my place. LMK when. Thanks again Jeff.
Chris
Old 09/12/2004, 08:56 AM
I support GSDRNI.org

Quote:
Originally posted by Dag
Any chance your uncle would be willing to ship another box ... maybe this time to my house.
Dag...remember the old addage...."be careful what you wish for...it might just come true."
I have to say, I learned a few things this week. Most noticeably, I learned I'm not ready to quit my swing shift job just yet. Granted, I paid AT LEAST $220 more for this endeavor than a LFS owner would have, but even at that, I'd have to sell more than this order each and every day....with higher prices and no losses to even come close to what I make...and then there would be insurance....blah..blah...blah....let's just say I gained a new respect for those that supply us with our corals for a living. I also learned that, at least for me, it was very nerve racking.....it's one thing to sell frags or colonies that you've had for awhile....no big deal, you can be pretty sure that tomorrow they'll still be the same as they were today. With this type of endeavor you could unpack healthy looking corals one day only to find that they started to RTN the next...maybe it's just me, but I feel this way every time I add a new coral, and this was multiplied by 27...and it's not over yet...I'm still worrying about them in other people's tanks. Who knows...maybe I'll try this again in a few months, but for now, I'm kinda glad it's nearing a close....

Highlander, jsbzmcdaniel, and freshwater...I'm glad we finally met. We live too close to have gone this long without meeting.

Sounds like we've just all been invited to party at Tank's...I can bring beer Chris....I love the Enchinata as well. I mounted it right after you left..so far so good.
Old 09/12/2004, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Nice to meet everyone this weekend- it is going to force me to do a little housekeeping in the tank to find good spots for all of these frags.

Loving it.

As I said, if you ever make it up my way...

Ari
Old 09/12/2004, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

Jgleach, you're right.

And since I'm not even willing to travel, I guess I'll stick to paying the LFS more money, and pick them up my leisure. Besides some of them I like supporting, like Menard.