Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/30/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy live rock

After my house fire, i removed all the rock from my 55 saltwater tank. can this rock be boiled to clean it and be reused in a new tank or do i have to purchase new?
Old 11/30/2007, 09:05 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your lose, that sucks. As far as your rock goes yes you can reuse it. It will just take time before it before it becomes "live"rock again.
Old 12/01/2007, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

You were kind of brief in explaining the house fire.

Did your tank hood melt, etc. All of those might be issues. I mean hell you might be able to just plop the rock back into another tank as long as soot and ash wasn't in the tank.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 12/26/2007, 06:14 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.......Johno4.... so then i should definitely boil it well b4 reusing, but should be fine aye?......JaredWaites.... The hood melted as well as the filtration system, the dtywall and ash from the ceiling above fell into the tank, it was a minimum of 3 days later that i was able to get to the tanks, break them, drain and remove the rock... it was placed into a rubbermaid container, and honestly now, two yrs later, is the first time I have even been able to consider starting my tanks over.
Old 12/26/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

am thinking about starting a Nano Cube, but am unfamiliar with those types of set ups, have heard non flattering reports about bio-bulbs, and seems most of the nano's use them... any sugguestions?
Old 12/26/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

My freshwater tank was burnt in a housefire, but the glass and everything melted in that case and nothing was ever seen again! Did you maintain the water conditions in the rubbermaid? Would you think the rock is still live?

Alot of nano cube keepers remove the bioballs and stick in some live rock rubble instead!
Old 12/26/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

house fire? is it possible to get your insurance company to pay the LFS $9 per pound for premium cured live rock?

Search via Google: "site:reefcentral.com keyword1 keyword2"
Old 12/27/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

You may have a bunch of toxins on that rock due to the fire. Insurance company should cover?