Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Phosban Reactor

How often are you supposed to change the media in a Phosban Reactor?
Old 11/05/2007, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

When your phosphates start to go up. It can last for months in a tank without much phosphate but can be gone in weeks if the tank has a lot. Really just have to wait till it goes up or do a preemptive change.
Old 11/05/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

I have read in a number of places that Phosphate is very difficult to test for properly and that the test kits really don't show a true representation of the levels of Phosphate. If there is a test kit that you know of that is accurate for this, let me know. I heard that Salifert is not accurate along with a few others.

Assuming that it can't be measured accurately, I was wondering what a safe amount of time would be to wait between regularly changing the media to keep the Phosphate levels in check so that they don't rise to a detectable level. I was thinking maybe every month or two?????
Old 11/05/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Merck or Deltec test kits are more reliable then most. I bring a digital colorimeter to each meeting and test water samples, and it doesn't lie
Old 11/05/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Joe. I can't seem to find the Deltec test kit and the Merck kit looks kind of expensive ($87). I will definitely bring a water sample to the next meeting for you to check out.
Old 11/05/2007, 11:22 PM
Premium Member

I can usually tell when it's time to change the media in my phosban reactor when I notice that I have to clean algae off the glass of the tank more often. Usually it's about once a week, but when I notice a slight algae film that I have to clean off every two or three days or so, I know its time to change the media. Certainly not as precise as testing the water with a really good phosphate test kit, but it works.
Old 11/06/2007, 11:18 AM
A. Millepora

x 2..thats the way I do it too..I haven't tested anything in a long time. I have been a hobbiest for many years now and I'm at the point where I can read the tank, it will talk, and let me know when something is wrong....then I check everything to find out the cause......
Old 11/06/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

That is probably the best method to test for phosphates, I have never had much luck with phosphate tests either. As soon as it is there, algae uses it up to grow so you can have low phosphate and still have a lot of algae. I just change the media out every 6 weeks or so myself.
Old 11/07/2007, 11:00 AM
Paracentropyge Boyeli

This is what I use to test for changes in Po4:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...phosphate&Np=1

IMO, accurate enough if you keep the cuvet clean and free of fingerprint smudges.