Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

Gyre flow

Just read an interesting article in advanced aquarist concerning PH placement and optimal bulk laminal water movement - they recommend creating a circular flow around a reef structure aka gyre.

Here is the new placement of my PH's - so far I like the overall increased water movement - instead of PH's working against one another, they work together.

2 x Tunze 6100

1 x Maxi Mod 1200

1 x SEIO 1500

Old 01/02/2008, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

nice tank
Old 01/02/2008, 10:15 PM
B-Boy AZTEC

yea I read thatarticle a couple of weeks ago and I also repositioned my PHs def a lot better my SPS have a lot more PE and the fish seem to love the current! They think they are in the movie fnding nemo! In the australlian current!!

I can def say my BB system is benifiting from the gyre flow setup
Old 01/02/2008, 10:51 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

ive had something similar for a while, flow created mainly by one pump, my koralia 4, pointing up and across the tank, creating a big circle, like a convection current. not around, but going down on on side, and up on the other. now i have a koralia 1 shooting the opposite direction to make it a little more random, but all it does is make the circle pulse. has worked great for me for a looonnggg time

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 01/03/2008, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Ditto that, I remember reading that thread a year ago and building it into my FOWLR system. It does a great job keeping my puffers poo in suspension to be carried to the overflow at the other end.

Pitstop, that tank is looking amazing!
Old 01/03/2008, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

Thats exactly what I am planning for my new tank. A vortech on each end, one towards the front and one towards the back. I even thought of using 3. One in the back pushing the water across, one on the back pushing water forward, and one in the front pushing back across, so as to get a circular like flow pattern. Hmmm...maybe the return pump can help here...

Tank looks great...like the nice clean look!
Old 01/03/2008, 10:43 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

I need to figure out how to do this but with my OM SS Its been sitting around as i dont have time to plumb it but i def want to keep the gyre effect! i was thinking of doing it like so....

have two on the top blowing forward and down... and two in the front and low blowing back and up.... so it stays circular but from the back to the front of the tank vs... left to right....?

or should i just keep it left to right and around the back.... the only thing is that my omss has a ver. 2 drum and in order to get that nice gyre flow i would need it to flow rear left and front right at the same time and then rear right and front left at the same time.... although this would create an alternating Gyre effect.... rotating clockwise and counter clockwise... what do you guys think?