Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/29/2007, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

Angry Cleaning an empty tank??

I purchased an ALL GLASS tank from someone... it has a lot of salt residue built up. I tiried cleaning it, but for some reason it does not seem to get cleaned!!

The salt seems like its in the middle of the glass.. any suggestions?
Old 06/29/2007, 06:52 AM
Always Learning

Try scraping it with a razor blade.

Patience is the best remedy for every trouble.
Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BC - 184 BC), Rudens
Old 06/29/2007, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

Water and vinegar mix
Old 06/29/2007, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

I bought a tank laced with a lot of salt residue, algae, scum, and coraline. I cleaned everything in a few hours with 100% vinegar and a sponge (miracle solution!) and scraped with a new razor blade. It has to be new, though. As soon as it gets a bit worn i find it way less effective.
Old 06/29/2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

If none of the things suggested above work then you might be out of luck. Chances are you have calcium deposits IN the pores of the glass. If this is the case you are better off just buying a new tank.

I purchased a used tank and attempted to clean all of the salt and coraline off of it. The stuff on the surface of the glass came off but directly underneath it the same stain remained. I tried everything. The one product I was told to use but I could not get my hands on it was muriatic acid.

Good luck.
Old 06/29/2007, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

Pour straight vinegar onto a paper towel and let it sit on the salt stain for a while (1/2 hour or so), then come back with a dry paper towel and wipe it off. If the stain is still there, add more vinegar and re-apply.

Works great and alot easier then scraping and scrubbing. Be sure to rinse the tank well afterwards or the remaining vinegar will affect the pH.

Yes, I really do design rockets for a living.
Old 06/29/2007, 08:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leoskee
The one product I was told to use but I could not get my hands on it was muriatic acid.
Muriatic acid is used in brick laying to clean up the job. Any big box store would carry it. I think I got mine at Home Depot. A little goes a long way.

It works well and much faster then vinegar. You also need gloves, safety glasses, and ventilation is recommended. (And, for the love of god, don't mix it with chlorine.)

If you glass is pitted, then you may be able to clean out the Ca deposit, but I would think it would give you nothing but trouble with algae, etc, etc. It would make a better, sump, fug or grow out tank then a display tank.
Old 06/29/2007, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
If none of the things suggested above work then you might be out of luck. Chances are you have calcium deposits IN the pores of the glass. If this is the case you are better off just buying a new tank.

I purchased a used tank and attempted to clean all of the salt and coraline off of it. The stuff on the surface of the glass came off but directly underneath it the same stain remained. I tried everything. The one product I was told to use but I could not get my hands on it was muriatic acid.

Good luck.
GLASS HAS PORES!!!?!! I hope Im not out of luck. I went thru a lot to pick this tank up and the seller said it can easily be cleaned..

no returns.. ahhhhhhhh
Old 06/29/2007, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdaddy
Muriatic acid is used in brick laying to clean up the job. Any big box store would carry it. I think I got mine at Home Depot. A little goes a long way.

It works well and much faster then vinegar. You also need gloves, safety glasses, and ventilation is recommended. (And, for the love of god, don't mix it with chlorine.)

If you glass is pitted, then you may be able to clean out the Ca deposit, but I would think it would give you nothing but trouble with algae, etc, etc. It would make a better, sump, fug or grow out tank then a display tank.

ALLL HAIL TO MURIATIC ACID!!! Does wonders for cleaning!!!
Old 06/29/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Fatdaddy: I couldnt get MA in New Jersey because it was taken out of stores. A few years ago a women threw a container full of muriatic acid in her husbands face for cheating. They since took it off of the shelves of HD and Lowes.

Mujbta: Yes, pores! Microscopic ones that you cannot see. How do you think insects can cling to glass? They do not use sticky pads to do that. lol.

Anyway, I hate to be the one to give you the bad news. But trust me. If its the same thing I had on my tank it will not clean up. To go even a bit further, the tank I bought used was a 220gl tank. I had several people help me carry it down the stairs to my basement. I had to tear apart a wall in order to make it fit. I wont go into detail but the guys were definitely ****ed when I told them I would need them to remove the tank. I ended up selling to a guy for African Cichlids and he didnt mind the stains. Lost half of the money it cost me.
Old 06/29/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Im glad it worked for ya. You posted as I was typing. Im glad I was able to help.
Old 06/29/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Im glad it worked for ya. You posted as I was typing. Im glad I was able to help.
Yea it seems to be fine.... my tank is large as hell too and i rented a truck and did a lot myself.. the person i got it from just said 'oh ya, lil vinegar will clean it'...

but this was not comin off... so now it SEEMS off.. i did notice some minor scratches.. but i guess i can live with it as long as the tank does not crack or leak..
Old 06/29/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

muriatic acid or sodium hydroxide do the trick
Old 06/29/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Razorblade is what I use to clean the salt creep of my MH UV glass. works like a charm
Old 06/30/2007, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Fatdaddy: I couldnt get MA in New Jersey because it was taken out of stores. A few years ago a women threw a container full of muriatic acid in her husbands face for cheating. They since took it off of the shelves of HD and Lowes.
Ouch that must hurt... I'd just do some shopping over the border next time you find yourself out of state. I wonder what they use in your state to clean up brick.

I only use vinegar to do weekly glass cleaning. It's just too slow for anything else.
Old 06/30/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Mujtba, have you placed a MH lamp on top of the tank yet? You'll be surprised how many scratches will show. That was the second reason I got rid of mine. The tank had way too many scratches.