Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/09/2004, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

fans in the hood?

Hi all, Thanks in advance!

I wanted to mount two CPU fans on the sides of my hood. Say my fan is 4"X4" by 1" deep, should I cut the holes in the side of my tank that exact size and sit the fan entirely in the hole or should I cut the hole smaller than the total fan size and screw it into the inside of my hood?

Also, my bottom area of my stand has a back on it and cabinet doors on the front, and the top is sealed. Is this not enough ventilation to prevent rot?
Old 05/09/2004, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

I think it's easier to cut a 4" hole and mount the fan inside to the frame.

It makes removal easier, fabricating the hole easier, looks better from the outside, and you can isolate the fan with rubber grommets so the vibration does not transfer to the hood and resonate.
Old 05/10/2004, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

bump, any other opions out there?
Old 05/10/2004, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

The holes in my canopy are circular and the fans are screwed in side. On the outside, there are plastic fan guards with mesh inserts that make it look good and keep dust from getting sucked inside the canopy.
Old 05/11/2004, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

Abominable Reefer:
If you screw them in the inside will there be a lot of vibratory noise? How many cfm and dB do you have per fan?
Old 05/11/2004, 04:22 AM
Registered Member

Cut the holes square in the canopy in mount them flush, it will give a much better appearance. Noise wise vantech stealth fans are the quietest that I have found.
Old 05/11/2004, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

Here's a good thread on fans -

RC Fan Thread