Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/13/2004, 03:06 AM
Reef Education 4 Schools

Lightbulb Finally I watched Baseball

I have some friend who are into baseball and talk about baseball all the time so I decided to watch a game and two. I really watched the whole game and it looked to me is the same as watching my electric (MH) gage all day long. Is it me or this sport is that hard to understand. I love soccer and I don't think is that hard to undertand. How long did it take you to undestand baseball. Is there is an easy way to understand baseball?
Old 04/13/2004, 03:08 AM
Jimmy Buffet Wannabe

I don't think baseball is hard to understand, it's just too damn slow these days. And don't even get me started on the yankees...
Old 04/13/2004, 07:53 AM
Bah Humbug!!

Baseball is a game meant to be "taken in". You sit, relax, watch the game, talk, drink beer. It is an experience- not a thrill a minute amusement park ride!

The right people understand
Old 04/13/2004, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

To fix baseball all you would have to do is limit to 3 pitchers an entire game. It is so slow with pithcer changes for every batter, and those pitchers get warm up pitches( as if they did not have enough in the bullpen>

Tony
Old 04/13/2004, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

I don't think baseball the game is hard to understand- the rules are mostly straight forward (with less than two outs, and no runner on first, the batter can attempt to advance to first on a passed third strike...) .
But baseball is a game played on many levels- there are many games within the game.
Each at bat is kid of a game in itself. Each pitch. Based on the situation, there are different strategies that can be applied. That's why it's easy to over-analyze everything (plus it's so slow that the announcers have the time to over-analyze).

IMO, unlesss you've played the game (even as a kid), you'll never really understand it very well.

And BTW, the Mets have a better record than the Yanks this year (well, I have to rub it in while I can)...
Old 04/13/2004, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Basebell is meant to be PLAYED not watched on tv.Watching baseball on tv is like watching grass grow or paint dry. I personally have better things to do with my time like posting on a reef board
Old 04/13/2004, 01:44 PM
The love of me life

Location: New Jersey (Yes our governor is gay not that there is anything wrong with that)
Baseball and beer. Thats all you need
Tell me this though. *** is the infield fly rule. I have tried to understand it but why would they do a rule like that.
Old 04/13/2004, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ginntonic74
Baseball and beer. Thats all you need
Tell me this though. *** is the infield fly rule. I have tried to understand it but why would they do a rule like that.
Let me try this one (since I can't offer any reef advice).
With less than two out, on an infield fly the batter is automatically out and runners advance at their own risk. Note that the umpire must decide if it is an easy, sure-out chance.
This is to prevent an infielder from intentionally dropping an easy out in order to get a cheap double play.

In other words, the runners are not forced (since the batter is automatically out), so they can stay on their bag without fear of being forced out if the infielder drops the ball.

Clear as mud?
Old 04/13/2004, 02:03 PM
Reef Education 4 Schools

I watched the two games because I'm invited to go to NY and watch Yankees game and wanted to learn a little before I go. I know Mike Mussina personally and I setup two tanks for him in his house. He lives close. My wife tried to explain it to me but I don't know if it was too hard or I'm getting old to understand. Anybody knows of a good video or DVD I can get (Something almost for kids)
Mike's Tank
Old 04/13/2004, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Aint it always the case.
Like J Lo's mother winnng the lottery.
Old 04/13/2004, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

Mo...

Did you watch it on TV or live? If it was TV that doesn't count. Go see the game in person. 1000 times better in person. I feel the same about Hockey 1000 times better in person. Soccer (which I too love) is about the same live or televised to me while Football is much better on TV.

If you are going to see a game Yankee Stadium is about the best you will see. There really isnt all that much that you NEED to know.

75 Gallon Semi-Reef (has water in it now)
Old 04/13/2004, 04:08 PM
Reef Education 4 Schools

hahaha,, yeah,, live is a way to go,, I think it will be better if I learn a little. I live across the bridge from the little league and have been there for a couple of games with my kids but never gave much attention to the game. Just got a call from a friend who a Yankee fan and he told me that he will watch one game with me and will teach me some.
Old 04/13/2004, 04:27 PM
Loan Shark Willy

................and i find it extremely boring.
Old 04/13/2004, 04:31 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

I always thought that baseball should have a number of innings divisible by 6. It makes it much easier to figure the number of beers per inning.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 04/13/2004, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

I agree with Dr Drudge...if you haven't played the game you wouldn't understand the attraction. As for the infield fly rule, remember there must be a force play situation. In other words there must be a runner on first base or in any combo that would result in a possible double/triple play if the fly is dropped on purpose.

46 gal salt: HOB wet/dry w/protein skimmer, filstar xp1, 45 lbs LR, 40 lbs LS, cleanup crew, coral beauty
Old 04/13/2004, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Oh yeah, Angels are going to kick tail this year!

46 gal salt: HOB wet/dry w/protein skimmer, filstar xp1, 45 lbs LR, 40 lbs LS, cleanup crew, coral beauty
Old 04/13/2004, 08:59 PM
Reef Education 4 Schools

My first lesson on Thursday night at a local bar my teacher told me to meet him there.
Old 04/13/2004, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Still living my glory years playing softball now. Not so much so much strategy, but fun, and it goes well with beer!
Old 04/13/2004, 10:18 PM
Reef Education 4 Schools

You sound like my teacher now..
Quote:
Originally posted by jus10kase
Not so much so much strategy, but fun, and it goes well with beer!
Old 04/14/2004, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

Mo. Have fun. If you can make it up to a Red Barrons game In Moosic. Tickets are like 7 bucks (Max) and you can go have a few beers and diner in the Stadium Club to take a break. My wife and I go a few times a year (some with and some without the kids) Always a good time.

Old 04/14/2004, 01:40 PM
Reef Education 4 Schools

are you talking about Scranton area ? That is not bad price and I always thought tickets were allot more.
Old 04/14/2004, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

Ya Actually I think that you can get tickets for like $4.50

Old 04/14/2004, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

It looks like zooqi is in Williamsport, PA, which is the home of Little League, the Little League hall of fame (on Rt. 15)

Surely, there are some 6 year olds that can explain the sport.
Old 04/14/2004, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

Have to say I`ve been to Red Barons game. Was home,Stroudsburg, on vacation couple seasons ago. Yes I`m a long time Phillies fan now in sunny Florida.
Old 04/14/2004, 08:52 PM
"Lurker"

As has been stated baseball is a game that is to be taken in and it is not a thrill ride. There is ALOT going on that is not seen, atleast not by the untrained eye. Baseball is 70% mental and 30% physical, don't take that as meaning you don't have to be in shape because you do. Baseball is great for all ages because it is simple enough for a kid to understand but also complicated enough to intrigue an adult. It's as simple as throwing and hitting or as difficult as trying to anticipate a fastball or changeup.

I've played organized ball in some form for every year since I was 5 (26 now), and I'm just as amazed as the first day I threw a ball. The question was asked earlier as to why pitchers need to throw warm-up pitches on the mound after they have been throwing in the bullpen. The answer is that the mound on the actual playing field is almost always different than that in the pen (atleast IMO, I was a pitcher all through MS and HS). So pitchers need a few throws to make the necessary adjustments.

Anyway, baseball is a great game (although not for everyone). Take time to understand the basic rules, go in the yard and hit/throw some, then take in a few live games. By the end you will most likely love it.

P.S.

GO BRAVES!!!