Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/10/2006, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

White Sebae

Just a quick question, what should i feed this beautiful specimen? I have heard that once a week feedings are optimal but i have not heard of a specific food to feed them. I normally feed my anemone's mysis shrimp and sometimes feeder shrimp. Would feeding it feeder shrimp once a week be ok or would there be something else out there that i should be feeding it?

Thanks
Rick

Old 07/10/2006, 03:27 PM
Yeahhhh BOYYYYYEEEEE!!!!

Try silversides

Chris
Old 07/10/2006, 03:39 PM
Hopeless addict

I feed my BTA silversides and raw cocktail shrimp soaked in Selcon or Zoe-con once a week. But I also feed it a squirt of mixed minced food out of my turkey baster any time I think of it as I feed the fish. Smaller more frequent is better than large chunks every now and then. That is cool looking. Hope it does well!
&nbsp&nbsp o@o&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "\_r'
&nbsp @o|,@&nbsp&nbsp _/,_&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp >( ')
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 07/10/2006, 03:49 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Those are not supposed to be that color. The one you have is on its way out albeit slowly. They occur in nature in a tan to brownish color with the colorful tips. They also require high intensity lighting. Feeding more than once or twice a week would be recommended and may help it some but strong lighting is a must.
Old 07/10/2006, 05:16 PM
Team RC Member

Mine eats mysis, I feed my clown and the clown feeds the anemone. I do feed it directly sometimes but the clown usually drags it out and re feeds it itself.
Old 07/10/2006, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

Wow good luck with that sebae. They are one of the hardest to keep alive. Mine died within a week of buying it. I have several anemones but they are the only ones that have died on me. I typically feed my anemones silversides or small pieces of frozen shrimp. Best of luck
Old 07/10/2006, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
Those are not supposed to be that color. The one you have is on its way out albeit slowly. They occur in nature in a tan to brownish color with the colorful tips. They also require high intensity lighting. Feeding more than once or twice a week would be recommended and may help it some but strong lighting is a must.

Agreed. I bought a bleached anemone, before I was properly educated about them. It looked very much like this one and I thought it looked very pretty and healthy. Little did I know, that I had just wasted my money.

As Freed says here, an anemone should be brown, which denotes that it has it's internal algae that it lives off of when it receives light. You can suppliment feed it with silversides, which they really do like.

A bleached anenome is not natural, and although they look great, they tend to be near death, as they have been shocked by the bleaching process.

I would recommend providing as consistent conditions as possible for this anemone and watch it like a hawk for health issues. Most importantly, if it does die, make sure to quickly remove it from your tank, so as to avoid damage to the rest of your tank life.

Mine turned inside out (You could see it's guts). Then it began to flake/melt away. Thereafter, it will start to stink.

I have a new brownish-orange BTA and it seems very healthy.
Old 07/10/2006, 08:35 PM
Team RC Member

The sebae anemone in the picture below with the clown peeking out is now 14 years old. I bought it at a Payless Aquarium store in 1992. Some of you who have been around the valley awhile remember Payless which was eventually bought out by Petco and the original owners now own Ocean Floor which is a huge disappointment compared to what Payless was.
I have never done anything special to it, in fact it lived in a 20 high with a skilter and power sweep and 4x15w normal output fluorescents for about 9 years. The same tank was then upgraded to a BakPak II skimmer and 2x55w and later 3x65w PC lights.
It now resides in a 15G Via Aqua with a Prizm, a couiple of small powerheads and a 96w powerquad for lighting.
It started out bleached just like the one in your picture but turned to a brown color very quickly and has been a perfect inhabitant for 14 years.
Old 07/11/2006, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

I would feed it frozen chunks of mysiss slightly thawed. It can recover its color if conditions are right and it gets nutrition.

IME Silversides is a RBTA and BTA thing as thats all my clones ever ate.
Old 07/12/2006, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

I fed mine twice a week when I got it. Chunks of fish, shrimp, etc. It is at the bottom of my 58 under a 150 halide. After he found his happy place he browned right up and is about three times the size. You just need to make sure it gets enough food until it replaces the algae inside.

I remember Payless. It was a great store and had everything. Ocean-Vu is suffering from major suckage considering the size of the place. It seems to be more of a poor mans Seaworld these days with parents only bringing in their kids to see the fishies and not buying anything. Half of the time you cannot get into the marine area because of all of the ankle biters. That is when they have livestock.
Old 07/12/2006, 05:56 PM
Team RC Member

Are you confusing Ocean Vu with Ocean Floor?
Old 07/12/2006, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Hows the best way to serve up silversides? Do you cut them up, or...?