Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 10:25 PM
Flow Master

Question Zoas waxing over

I have kept several different kind of zoas and palys over the years and every once in a while some of my zoas will get a waxy cover on them. I usually clean it off but it usually comes back and kills some of them. Does anyone know what causes this? These are not new aqcuistions and there is plenty of flow in the tank.
Old 12/02/2007, 09:57 AM
Team RC Member

Would you by chance have a macro shot? I have never heard of that type of discription, waxing over. Maybe you could explain it a bit more, I'd love to hear more about it.

Mucho Reef
Old 12/04/2007, 09:43 AM
Registered Member

me too...

i have just acquired some new zoas that looked fine in the parent colony but once in my tank they have what looks like a waxy sluff on them...kinda like a leather before it sheds..

i hope they are going to be fine...but i would like to hear any more info about his for sure..

i acclimated them for 45 minutes..other tank (seller) was .027, mine is about .0255, just below the.o26 on my refractometer...i treid something new this time...and floated them in my sump while dripping from the display...to keep temps normal etc..thought all was good..checked them for bugs...and shook them in freshwater bath...but two days now and still nothing opening..all the acros i got from him and did this too opened up just fine in a matter of minutes...no zoos yet though...hopefully today..
Old 12/05/2007, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

you should look at the zoo pox thread that is stickied... kind of sounds like you may have zoo pox on the new corals.... cross your fingers that I am wrong.. GL