Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/05/2001, 12:13 PM
cnidarian vigilante

Question Chiller: CSL or Aqualogic

I'm thinking about buying a chiller for my 180g system I have. The two I am thinking about are the Aqua Logic 1/3HP Delta inline and the Custom Sea Life 1/3 HP Powercooler inline. Anybody using these chillers want to comment on your experiences, or which one you prefer?
Old 07/05/2001, 01:37 PM
ectoreef

I have the CSL on my tank and it works great. It uses welded stainless-steel fittings instead of crimped fittings. May not make much of a difference as I haven't heard of failures of the crimped fittings. The digital temp controller on the CSL works well.
Old 07/05/2001, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Are you guys using the chilling coil or the flow through type?
Old 07/05/2001, 04:16 PM
ectoreef

Flow through type. It's more effective. With the coil type, if you had lower flow than what is recommended by the manufacturer, you could potentially freeze the coil in a block of ice.
Old 07/05/2001, 04:24 PM
Premium Member

I have an aqualogic 1/4 running for over year. Have had no issues and it is used on about 110G of water in my main tank, refugium, and sump. I will say it hardly runs even in Texas and I think it could easily handle up to 300G for my environment.

I was going to get the 1/3 chiller so I would definitely would not have to upgrade but look at the jump in AMP draw from 1/4 to 1/3.

I use the delta star through through it is more efficient and you don't have to bother with coil placement and the flow in the sump.
Old 07/05/2001, 04:36 PM
Premium Member

I bought one of the 1/4hp aqualogic coil chillers about a month ago, because I had not been able to keep up with my heat load with just evaporative cooling during the summer months. The chiller has been able to keep up with the load from 5 400W MH + 2 110W VHO + 3 Sen 900 submerged pumps, while the ambient room temp has generally been in the 80s. It's not as fancy or quiet as the ones I use for my job (that cost 5X as much) but it certainly does work. It is loud though; there is a big cooling fan inside the case that helps dissipate heat from the exchanger and the sound from the air rushing into/out of the housing is obvious.

I have no experience with any other aquarium marketed chiller. HTH
Old 07/05/2001, 06:08 PM
cnidarian vigilante

Frisco, what size tank are you running?

I keep looking at the 1/4 HP over the 1/3 too. I keep looking at the 1/3 mainly because I don't want to make the costly mistake of buying an underpowered chiller. I have (3) 250w MH + 2 140w VHOs on the tank. Evaporative cooling works ok until I get any humidity in the air then the temp starts going up up.
Old 07/05/2001, 06:33 PM
Moved On

With either one you really cant go wrong as both are reliable units, but if I had to choose one I would take the CSL in a heartbeat, its built better, much better, and is very compact and energy effiecient to boot.
Old 07/05/2001, 06:50 PM
Sponsor
10 & Over Club

JB, I just bought a CSL 1/3 HP for my 150. I bought it on ebay for $620. Luckily it is local so I pick it up on Monday or Tuesday. THey are brand new in the box. I noticed the person selling has more than one. THey are inline and do have the LCD temp controller. You may want to try there as well. When I priced it at PA it was $730 plus shipping. Good luck
Old 07/05/2001, 07:01 PM
cnidarian vigilante

myreef, that's the CSL chiller I've been looking at. I know he's got a bunch, But I also found the Aqualogic for about the same price with shipping so that's why I trying to find out which one it get as they end up costing me the same.
Old 07/05/2001, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

I doesn't look that great of a deal. You can get a online shop send it to you with out the controller for $100 less or so.... plus they will match.

The shipping on Ebay from Georgia compared to an online retailer shipping is what is going to make or break the deal.
Old 07/05/2001, 07:18 PM
Moved On

I was also there at the ebay site, funny thing I noticed were that the dimensions were not the same as the current linup of chillers CSL makes, which is 14.5x12x14, these units the 1/3 hp version was 18.75x11.5x12 or something which reminds me of the aqualogic units. Hmmmmmmmm..............I wonder whats up,

Myreef, did you get yours yet?? whats the holdup if you live in the area??We need to know on this fast!
Old 07/05/2001, 08:51 PM
cnidarian vigilante

Shipping is from ebay is like $35 which seems to be normal for the weight of the chiller. I called champion lighting to see if I could get a price for their chillers without a temp controller. They would only knock off $20, so it's still a better deal. I did email the guy on ebay, he said it was the CSL in-line Powercooler.
Old 07/05/2001, 08:58 PM
Moved On

I emailed him too asking SPECIFIC questions, no answer yet, especially concerning the different dimensions. Im also gonna call up CSL tommarow and see what they can tell me about this guy if anything.
Old 07/05/2001, 09:00 PM
Sponsor
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by endymion
I doesn't look that great of a deal. You can get a online shop send it to you with out the controller for $100 less or so.... plus they will match.

The shipping on Ebay from Georgia compared to an online retailer shipping is what is going to make or break the deal.
I live in the same city ... No shipping. $35 is $35. Buys a fish.
Old 07/05/2001, 09:04 PM
Sponsor
10 & Over Club

Before I bought it, I sent about 5 emails...all were answered in less than 24 hours. I asked about the dimensions...he said it was old dimensions he had. He assured me they were new and still in the box. I pick mine up Monday or Tuesday...I can post after I do if it will help.
Old 07/05/2001, 09:20 PM
Premium Member

myreef -
for you yes a good deal and I wish I lived in GA for chillers and I wish I lived in the NE for Southdown... but for other it depends on how close you live to one dealer or to another dealer. Especially with chillers and their weight.
Old 07/05/2001, 10:01 PM
Moved On

Does anyone know where you can get a CSL 1/3 hp unit with NO controller for $620 or close to it,besides the listing on ebay??
Old 07/06/2001, 05:22 AM
cnidarian vigilante

I haven't found a price from an online store anywhere close to the $620 being offered on e-bay. Maybe I'll go with an Aqua Logic.
Old 07/06/2001, 06:29 AM
Registered Member

Well, I am getting ready to buy one of the GA chillers on Ebay, just because of the great price and short drive to get it, if the seller will let me pick it up.

I am concerned now about the coil type chiller. Is there really a possibillity of it freezing in the sump with a controller? It should shut off right?
Old 07/06/2001, 09:07 AM
Premium Member

JB NY -

have you checked locally. The aqualogic chillers are used for keep in tanks cold for lobsters in restaurants There might be distributors or sellers outside of the aquarium hobby that carries them in your area.
Old 07/06/2001, 10:46 AM
Reefstud
Unregistered

FWIW, FFexpress has an Aquatherm chiller that has the smallest dimensions of any 1/4 hp chiller. It also has a built in controller and a heater. I read all of the technical specs and it sounds too good to be true. I just would like to hear what other say about it.

I have an Aqua Logic drop in. I would definitely go with the in line next time because I thought the drop in would take up less space. The only complaint I have with my chiller is how quickly the cooling fins in the front of the unit corroded. It took like one month and then I had rust and crap all over them.
Old 07/06/2001, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

The guy on Ebay just responded. He has the flow thru and the coil chillers available. Hopefully I can get one tonight!

Hutch
Old 07/06/2001, 02:53 PM
cnidarian vigilante

Bought the Aqua Logic

I received an email from the guy on ebay as well. The units he's selling are new, the current model Powercooler and they come with a temp controller. I emailed a few online stores and even with shipping it ends up being about 12% cheaper than any other on-line store I was able to find. I think it's a very good buy if you can get it at that price. That said, I decided to go out and buy an Aqua Logic 1/3 HP in-line unit. I decided in the end to purchase this unit based on the numerous posts on the internet and through this board by satisfied people using these chillers. Many people have had these chillers running without problems for over seven years. Lots of people like the CSL chiller but IMHO they are new to the chiller business, having OEM'd Aqua Logic chillers in the past. So I would rather have the piece of mind that I feel the Aqua Logic will give me. Hopefully I made the right choice, time will tell.
Old 07/06/2001, 03:01 PM
Sponsor
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Hutchinson
The guy on Ebay just responded. He has the flow thru and the coil chillers available. Hopefully I can get one tonight!

Hutch
You have mail. I have paid for my chiller and he said he could not let me have it until Monday or Teusday because of the Holiday this week. If you come to pick your up tonight....please let me know!