Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Need to borrow a pocket hole tool

I'm going to hopefully skin my stand frame this weekend and will need a pocket hole tool. I'd rather not spend $100 on one, so if someone has one they would be willing to loan me for a week or more, please contact me.

Here is what I want: http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-K2-8-Inch.../dp/B0000DD1YD

Thanks.
Reagan Eileen's Daddy (11/10/07 @ 3:27am; 6lbs 3 oz; 18 inches)

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer
Old 01/07/2008, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

what is that used for mark?
Old 01/07/2008, 05:35 PM
Reef Cowboy

Same concept as "toe" nailing but pre-drilling for screws instead of hammering nails. There's a single hole mini handheld version for about $12-$13 bucks. The one Mark's looking for is the really robust double jig which is quite a bit more expensive.

Last edited by kevin95695; 01/07/2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

I have one if you want to borrow it. However, you will need to provide your own screws (or possibly trade for frags). How long do you need to borrow it for? I need to build an entertainment center soon, so I can't have it loaned for too long.

I think the set I have is the Kreg K2000.

MInh

Last edited by Reefugee; 01/07/2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maxdout
what is that used for mark?
Hi, Max. Its used to attach two pieces of trim together. That's the best explanation I can give with my layman's knowledge (or lack of).

Here is an example of how its used:

Minh, I pm'd you. I would definitely like to borrow that from you, if possible.

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer
Old 01/07/2008, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

Pocket screws are great for situations where you don't want to use clamps, glue and biscuits/dowels. When using clamps, glue, and biscuits/dowels, the piece of wood have to dry for 24 hours before you use it. With pocket screws, there is no need for drying time. It's fast and easy to use. The hold is pretty strong. Although you don't have to use glue with the pocket screws, I still use them.

The only negative thing about the pocket screws is that it does leave the holes. But if the holes are hidden, who cares.

Mark - if you need to borrow a air compressor (pancake style) and a nail gun, I have those too. It makes for attaching the face really easy and simple. I just need to bring my car in to have the nails removed from one of the tires before I can loan out the compressor though. I should have that done sometime this week. Hell - if you need a miter saw, you can borrow the one I have as well.

Minh
Old 01/07/2008, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

Mark - your PM box is full.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

cleared

Forum Etiquette: