Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Hamilton, Phoenix, EVC 250W DE

I'm running phoenix 14ks right now, and am not too happy with the color. I am looking for something more blue, but can't find anything on the Hamilton or EVC 20k DE bulbs. I'm looking for a little less par than the phoenix as my corals seem to be washing out a little bit.

Any suggestions and experiences are much appreciated.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

That is how the Phoenix looks, washed out, too much 450nm. Try the Helios 20K, nice peak in the 420nm range. I used my Phoenix for about a month and ditched it, but I think I'm the only person here that dislikes it.

Last edited by smatter; 12/17/2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Yeah. I am not too impressed with phoenix myself. I have been running them for the past 2 years, and it's time for a change. I have always wanted to go to mogul, but can’t seem to afford getting a new set-up for it. Too busy wasting my money on other cool things! Ha.

Would a different bulb with the same amount of PAR as the phoenix still wash out colors?
Old 12/17/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

I'm switching to reeflux 12k, didnt like the colors I got from the corals with the phoenix, esp. the blues.

Helios and radium might be after I try reeflux.
Old 12/17/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Unfortunately I can't run Radiums as I have DE pendants. Never tried reeflux, but i heard that they are less blue than the phoenix. I did try coralvue 20Ks over the weekend and they were super white.

Does Helios have a DE bulb? And how are they?
Old 12/17/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

yes helio has DE. XM 20K will also be really blue
Old 12/17/2007, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Checked the XM Helio smokes it. But do you think these 2 come from the same warehouse or what?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12/17/2007, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Could very well be. I have been debating on the EVC for months. It's a little cheaper than Hamiltons. Since there is no plot for the hamilton DE, I can't really compare the two. But if you're telling me the Helios ,and/or quite possibly the EVC is bluer, i think that i have made up my mind. I don't lose too much PAR and I get a nicer blue color over the washed out look of Phoenix.
Old 12/17/2007, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Yeah out of the helio and EVC i would just find out which is cheaper and get that one since they are indentical
Old 12/17/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
That is how the Phoenix looks, washed out, too much 450nm. Try the Helios 20K, nice peak in the 420nm range. I used my Phoenix for about a month and ditched it, but I think I'm the only person here that dislikes it.
The Phoenix has less in the 450nm range than the Helios and more 420nm than the Helios. The Helios does, however, have a peak below 420nm.
Old 12/17/2007, 07:03 PM
phins are on the clock

Quote:
Originally posted by Retzius
I'm switching to reeflux 12k, didnt like the colors I got from the corals with the phoenix, esp. the blues.

Helios and radium might be after I try reeflux.
This isn't blue enough for you? This is a 14k pheonix bulb, no other supplementals
Old 12/17/2007, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Nope. I am getting a washed out look from all of my montis and a few LPS. I need something less intense but not too much less. I am running actinics as well. I'm getting more of a crisp white look. This is my second set of phoenix bulbs as well.

I do however like the color of the phoenix while it's burning in.
Old 12/17/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

The ballast has a contributing factor to bulb color.....
Old 12/17/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

I'm running a Sunlight Supply Bluewave VII 2x250w
Old 12/17/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

That is basically a Magnetic ballast.. I think?!?!?

Try Sanjay's website out and look at the spectrum charts, he has done his homework thats for sure! Since you know what the Pheonix 14K's look like, compare them to other bulbs and see if you get results your looking for. Btw the more 400-460 you have the more blue you will get. The XM 20k's might be a good choice for you, although I think they have higher Par than the Pheonix's when run on Magnetic Ballast like you have....?

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/select2lamp.php

Hope this helps!
Old 12/17/2007, 09:12 PM
phins are on the clock

I am running icecap electronic ballast. Lots of blue for my tank.
Old 12/18/2007, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

Is hqi magnetic?

I've been to Sanjay's website, but the problem is that he doesn't have the hamilton DEs. I'll probably go with the helios as you just can't beat the price. but I do want to consider all of my options by listening to life experiences here. I appreciate it all!
Old 12/18/2007, 02:48 AM
Registered Member

No.

Magnetic ballast will not fire a DE bulb only electronic or HQI/M80 ballast.

If you have HQI that is a M80 ballast and that will also make a Bulb whiter than if you used a Electronic, which it would be more blue.

I would get the Helio.
Old 12/18/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help. Made my decision really easy. One day I'll switch to mogul... when i stop spending money on corals! ha
Old 12/18/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flugelnuss
Thanks for all the help. Made my decision really easy. One day I'll switch to mogul... when i stop spending money on corals! ha
The Blue Wave VII Dual is a Magnetic HQI ballast, Dual M80's in a single case. It is the ballast that I run. I was very interested in the Helios a little while back because of the relatively high actinic energy compared to other blue 250 watt DE bulbs. They are really nice bulbs. Blue but not a washed out blue like I found the Phoenix to be. Obviosuly the bulbs has a huge blue spike at 450nm but it is a very pleasant crisp bulb with a distinct but little bit different blue. I think all the actinic contributes to the more pleasing blue color of the bulb.

BTW, I pointed out the almost identical spectrum of the EVC and Helios DE bulbs in a thread not too long ago where a poster was looking into the EVC but it was out of stock at the Ocean Encounter site. Those bulbs always seem to be sold out. I am convinced that the Helios is the same bulb.

Flugelnuss ... Also, I have some more info on some old 250 watt Helios 20K DE's floating around. You dont want an old one, they arent the same. PM me if you are planning on buying the Helios, I dont want to say anything in the public forum.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

I just tried asking a couple of vendors about the Helios and both of them are pointing me toward the Ushio 20k instead. It's about $15 extra per bulb. Anyone have any comparison between that and the Helios/EVC bulbs?