Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/18/2007, 01:18 PM
In over my head!

October Meeting Topic - Photography

Hey guys,! Chris has asked me to speak a little about tank photography at this month's meeting. I plan to talk a little about equipment (including SLR vs. point&shoot), some photography basics, then we'll get into some specific tips & techniques for better picture taking in your tanks.

If anyone has any specific questions or things they'd like to discuss, please post them here and I'll do my best to work them in (we'll have a Q&A afterwards, too).

Also, feel free to bring your cameras to the meeting so you can play around with different camera features as we discuss them. Hopefully, this will be a great learning experience for everyone!
Old 10/18/2007, 01:29 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Man I was really excited to hear bout this topic coming up, but of course I'm up at school while it's going on Oh well. Have fun, it sounds like a great topic that many of us in the club want to learn about.

The most important factor that I've noticed as to getting the best picture? Just keep shooting. The more pictures you take, the more likely you are to get that perfect shot. I took about 15-20 pictures of this fish before I got this one, and could have gotten a better one had I continued shooting:
Old 10/18/2007, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Jeff, if your presentation is computer-assisted, could you post it after the meeting? Unfortunately the soccer team I'm coaching drew Tuesday nights for practices.
Old 10/18/2007, 04:34 PM
In over my head!

I will have some things in a power point, but it's likely to be just short bullet points and some sample images. You're more than welcome to it after the meeting, though.

Also, sometime last year, Astrogazer had the idea of doing a series of hands-on photography 'lessons' on this forum. There was a lot of interest, but for whatever reason, it never got off the ground. If there's interest after the meeting, we may be able to do something like that.

Read about it here:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=994923
Old 10/18/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like a great topic Jeff! I'll bring a few different types of cameras to show people how to use them if they don't bring their own. I've got a point-and-shoot Nikon, my Pentax SLR, and a Fuji "in between." They don't call me "Kathy Kodak" for nothin'!
Old 10/18/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

I think the topics should be pretty general...such as white balance, macro, and focusing on fish (I need some help with that one!)

Oh, and I can't forget..."to flash or not to flash" would also be a good topic!
Old 10/18/2007, 10:25 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Man after reading the photography forum, there is SOOO much more than "flash or not to flash." A lot of the fish picture guys put a flash under the camera pointing up at the fish in the tank, the camera perpendicular to the tank, and a flash above the tank to light up the fish and area. So many options