Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/08/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

species only pico tank

I am still trying to decide on what to keep in my 2.5 pico that I am setting up. so far I am thinking that I want a species only pico. any that get too big could alawys live in my 20g reef, or 29g sump. here are the inverts I have been considering.
porcelain crab
pom pom crab (very likely, might keep it in 20g reef instead)
emerald crab
scarlet hermit
CBS
skunk cleaner shrimp
sexy shrimp (very likely)
pepermint shrimp
pederson's anemone shrimp
glass anemone shrimp
pistol shrimp
mantis shrimp
saron shrimp
bumble bee shrimp
a small anemone?
any other ideas? I will be planning the tank around this one species. I would like to limit it to reef safe critters. I may eventually add in a trimma or eviota goby when tank has had a while to mature.

Last edited by Moonstream; 10/08/2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10/08/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

I think that I will do 1-2 sexy shrimp. does this stocking list sound okay?
1-2 sexy shrimp
2 tiny hermits
2 snails (1 nass, 1 astrea)
various corals MAYBE a small trimma or eviota goby (aafter tank is very mature)
Old 10/08/2007, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

I don't think you should have any trouble with your list. I have a 24 stocked with about 8 or so sexy shrimp, a green and a yellow clown goby, a Hector's goby and a handful of snails/blue leg hermits. Everyone gets along fine. My sexy shrimp do tend to aggravate my zoos though because they are always standing on them...

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.” -Theodore Geisel
Old 10/08/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

thanks. do yours hang out together? I have been watching 2 at the LFS for some time now, will probably get them soon.
Old 10/08/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

well... i just saw mantis shrimp and a red flag shot up in m head Mantis will kill everything else in your tank. EVERYTHING, they're just a few snacks for it, and then it will likely smash through the glass and escape. You need a seperate 10-20 for a mantis, and not a peacock. (OH NO!!!) you won't be able to keep other inverts in a mantis tank. For the most part though, everything else seems ok. I dunno about the anemones, you need really good lighting. unless you're aiming for like aiptasia, rock anemone etc...
Old 10/08/2007, 09:17 PM
105x4

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefynewby
well... i just saw mantis shrimp and a red flag shot up in m head Mantis will kill everything else in your tank. EVERYTHING, they're just a few snacks for it, and then it will likely smash through the glass and escape.
That's not entirely true. We had a mantis in a 3 gal pico for about 8 months and he shared it with a damsel and hermits the entire time. I know that they have the potential to eat tankmates but we kept him so well fed, he had no interest in them.
Old 10/08/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Reefynewby, a lot of the things you said weren't exactly true. small mantis that dont grow over like, 3", could be kept in a 5g, and I would only keep a mantis in here until they got to be about 2", then move to the 29g fuge. a mantis would have to be really strong to smash through glass, meaning around 5" (I think thats the size). depending on the type and how well fed it is you could keep inerts/ fish with it (not in a tank this small tho). a spearer can live with inverts, while a well fed smasher could be kept with fish. another thing is that not all anemones need bright lights. BTAs can be kept under PC lights, though they dont really thrive. I have however (as posted above), decided on
1-2 sexy shrimp
2 tiny hermits
2 snails (1 nass, 1 astrea)
various corals

as well as maybe keeping a small trimma or eviota goby. thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 10/09/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

by the way... for your info... i highly doubt youre gonna want a mantis because there will be a time in the future when you won't be able to constantly feed him, and if you wanna lose your inverts, that's fine. Plus, if you're using a 2.5 glass, it will prbly not be very thick, which could cause a mantis hazard. And even a BTA is gonna require a decent tank, i dun think 2.5 gal is big enough for one that grows.
Old 10/09/2007, 07:37 PM
105x4

Again, we kept ours in a 3 gal pico. No problems. With a damsel and hermits. Why wouldn't you be able to feed him constantly?
Old 10/10/2007, 01:43 AM
Premium Member

you shuld do harliquin shrimp that would be cool

Jack
Old 10/10/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

harlequins are very kool (good idea yellow), as long as you can keep a stable population of stars. Harlequins ONLY eat stars, so you'll need asterinas or choco chips. If you can get an asterina or 2 in there, they reproduce like mad, they constantly drop legs. Once again, harlequins r really kool if you can keep em.