Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/12/2007, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

My snagger

Since I stumbled across the idea for this wonderful device on this forum I thought I would share my version with everyone. I read about the snagger a few months ago but couldn't find any photos or diagrams other than the brief description in Wilkersons book. Two hatches collected so far and I'm very happy, so much easier than siphoning or scooping them out. Here are a few pics.

Old 08/13/2007, 02:35 PM
Premium Member

I need one of those ! How does it work. Please explain. Thanks !
Old 08/13/2007, 06:57 PM
Registered Member

The whole assembly sits inside the tank the evening the eggs are due to hatch. When the eggs hatch after lights out the fry are drawn to the light on the u-tube. Theres a small pump inside the coffee filter that sucks anything that comes near the tube into the holding tank. The fry are protected from the pump by the coffee filter. After about an hour all are in the holding tank, the key for me was finding the right size pump and light. I have used it many times now, works great.
Old 08/13/2007, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

OK .. I'm sold. What size pump did you use ? And did you make the acrylic box yourself ? Or is it store bought ?
Old 08/14/2007, 08:58 AM
The Clownfish COP

Yes please more details on the equipment!
Old 08/14/2007, 11:20 AM
Premium Member

Be sure that you make it out of something rigid. I made one out of a tupperware container and as the pump emptied the container, the container started to float in the water and bent up around the tank attachment clamp. That is, mine was completely useless.

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 08/15/2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Here's a rough parts list -

Acrylic box - I made, details below
Siphon tube - LFS
Coffee filter - Walmart
Pump minijet 404 - LFS
LED lunar light - LFS
PVC and vinyl tubing - Home Depot

I tried to use a small plastic box "critter keeper" like some of the local stores here sell for a few dollars. It worked a few times but ended up cracking when I lifted it out when it was full of water. I just used some 1/4" scrap acrylic and a heat gun and made a poor mans hang on box. Once it's all glued together the 1/4" is plenty solid.
For the pump I just tried to find a small, low flow pump, didn't want to injure the fry once they were in the siphon. It could maybe be a little stronger but it pulls in the fry from an inch or more. Just focus the light on the end of the tube. Wilkersons book was the only thing I could find that really gave any description, from there I just kind of improvised.
Old 08/17/2007, 09:14 AM
Premium Member

OK .. Made mine last night ... Didn't work so good.

1) Pump is too small. ( use a rio-50 69gph)
2) Lost siphon in U-Tube.
3) Coffee filter went below water line.

Good thing the clown didn't hatch. Will need to fix these things before tonight !