Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/12/2007, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

mesh mod kicks ars!

well I am sure this is a dupe but I just did a mesh mod on my 8" euroreef with a sedra 3500. I did not cut the pins, I just pushed the mesh over them and seated it with a small screwdriver. then I went back with scissors, trimmed around the edges. I found that the impeller did not turn as fast anymore so I went back with a small pair of flush cut dikes and trimmed all the overhang and the center so the nylon bushing could seat properly.. now it runs great, no zipties were used, it does not look like the mesh can go anywhere. after 15 minuets, I have a nice THICK head of foam atop my collection cup... outstanding

on another subthought, does anyone else block the air intake for a few seconds prior to removing the collection cup for cleaning? I found that it pushes all the nutrient laden foam out of the riser and into the cup instead of spilling back into the tank
Old 07/12/2007, 03:23 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
i was thinking of doing it to my deltec...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 07/12/2007, 03:27 PM
GO DUCKS!

and i was thinking about modding my ER with a mesh mod but i cant find anyone that sells the good stuff...
Old 07/12/2007, 03:30 PM
Devil in the fur

can you post some pics how you did it?
where did you get the mesh?

Thanks
Old 07/12/2007, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

What kind of mesh did you use?
Old 07/12/2007, 04:22 PM
Where'd my check go?!

coral oasis in irvine sells the mesh...

Dude post pics of how you did it. That sounds like something worth trying this weekend!

-TJ
Old 07/12/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
i was thinking of doing it to my deltec...
I thought those Eheims that the deltecs come with are already pretty nuts. Not only are they really quiet/reliable, they also pull a TON of air. I think that's the reason your deltec sells for so much, it's those insane pumps.
Old 07/12/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockindacheeks
and i was thinking about modding my ER with a mesh mod but i cant find anyone that sells the good stuff...
Someone on Ebay is selling it. Just type in Enkamat Mesh.
Old 07/12/2007, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

I just bought some. Thanks it was dirt cheap as long as it works. Now I just need to find the link to how to do it?
Old 07/12/2007, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

well, it is already back in. I have to go to work. I could pop it out tomorrow and post a pic of the modded impeller. basically all you do is pull out the impeller, be carful not to break the shaft. the mesh I used I got from another reefer and anyone that wants to meet me is welcome to some for free. you just push the mesh on to the pins... once you have the impeller out it is fairly self explanatory, then just trim it down. the whole process takes about 15 minutes
Old 07/12/2007, 05:05 PM
Devil in the fur

what did you mean to "seated it with a small screwdriver"- just to push the mesh closer to the base?
Old 07/12/2007, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

yep
Old 07/12/2007, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Re: mesh mod kicks ars!

Quote:
Originally posted by five.five-six

on another subthought, does anyone else block the air intake for a few seconds prior to removing the collection cup for cleaning? I found that it pushes all the nutrient laden foam out of the riser and into the cup instead of spilling back into the tank
I am wondering if anyone else has done this? perhaps it should be in it's own thread
Old 07/12/2007, 06:38 PM
Moved On

Dude I need some mesh....I just got an octopus skimmer I want to do this to
Old 07/12/2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

I just installed a eheim with original mesh impeller...that thing is kicking &^%.
Old 07/12/2007, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomconk
Dude I need some mesh....I just got an octopus skimmer I want to do this to
bring your impeller by and I will set you all up. i have enough to do 3~4 mods but I will make sure I save enough to do yours
Old 07/12/2007, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

I did the the G3 mesh mod and used 20# fishing line to tie it to the holes in the impeller instead of using zip ties. Works great if you know how to tie fishing knots. Keeps the impeller better balanced. (I give credit to reefer: Andy (acliao) for the fishing line tip!)

I noticed Tongs has some of the Enkmat PF4, it's near those roll up foam and black plastic stringy mats that people used to use in their overflows along time ago.
Old 07/12/2007, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reef_doug
I did the the G3 mesh mod and used 20# fishing line to tie it to the holes in the impeller instead of using zip ties. Works great if you know how to tie fishing knots. Keeps the impeller better balanced. (I give credit to reefer: Andy (acliao) for the fishing line tip!)

I noticed Tongs has some of the Enkmat PF4, it's near those roll up foam and black plastic stringy mats that people used to use in their overflows along time ago.
Well, on the sedra, I see no need for monofilament or zip ties, there is just no way for the mesh to come off the needles once you close the powerhead back up
Old 07/12/2007, 08:00 PM
GO DUCKS!

but over time the needles might tear apart the mesh and then you've got a big mess to clean up
Old 07/12/2007, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

could be, probably not, I will let the whole board know if it is a problem
Old 07/12/2007, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

I order online for sample from company (forgot name), but it called Enkmat PF4. It's free.
Old 07/12/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

There is a thread in here about this kind of mesh.
Old 07/12/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Ya the mesh through the pins works well

I meshed my ER 1000 with this method and it only takes 4 pumps to run it!!
Here are some shots of my meshed impeller:

and here is a link to the thread that explanations how to do it.
click here
I've been telling people about this method since my tank presentation at the SCMAS meeting in February.
Great to find another believer in it.

Steve G.

Last edited by Steve1714; 07/12/2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07/12/2007, 11:18 PM
Premium Member

hey, that mesh looks cooler than mine, I will be in costa mesa monday night ~ 10:30PM, got any left over?
Old 07/12/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

woah...never seen the mesh mod done without cutting the pins. Basically you need a air meter and a kill a watt to see if you did the mod right.

If you did the mod right the wattage goes down and air goes up. My sedra went from 90 watts to 65 watts. I don't have the air meter so I couldn't test that. Sometimes the amount of air being pulled in drops and rises if you do the mod incorrectly.