Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tennessee Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/10/2004, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

filament on live rock

Hello Tennessee Reefers. I am pretty new to saltwater and I need a bit of advice. The live rock in my aquarium has started to releive itself all over my tank. All around my rocks there are long, round, gray tubes that seem to be coming out of the rock. I assume this is some sort of worm or other creature that is boring into the rock and pushing this stuff out, and I am wondering if I should be concerned. I have also noticed that long strands of what looks like spider web are soming out of the rock. Any ideas as to what this is? Thanks in advance.

FYI, if anyone is keeping track, I also plan on being at the club meeting on the 21st. John.
Old 03/10/2004, 08:25 PM
Me in Iraq

First, Welcome to RC!

The tubes sound like feather dusters...a good sign.

I forget what the spider webs are, I'll look and see if I can find some info.
Old 03/10/2004, 08:27 PM
Me in Iraq

Spider Webs
Old 03/10/2004, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up. I watched them for a while and I began to realize they were some sort of tentacle or mucous line for dragging in food. The coolest thing about reef aquariums and live rock is that just about every day I find something new living in my tank (which I think is a good thing....)
Old 03/11/2004, 09:34 AM
the cheaper reefer

Hmmm...that sounds like chaetopterid worms. A harmless and beneficial detritivore. Do they have two little clear tentacles that com out to the end of the mucous tube that capture food and drag it back in?

heres a pic of a similar animal with one tentacle

Old 03/12/2004, 10:44 AM
Premium Member

Could also be polycheate worms (AKA spagetti worms). I believe they are also in kevlouie's pic. at the bottom of the chaetopterid tube, orange/red tentacles.

Chris
Old 03/12/2004, 04:36 PM
Catch and release

It is a Vermetid snail. I also have one. Produces strings of mucus to trap food that looks very similar to a spiders web.
Chris
Old 03/13/2004, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Actually, they are chaetopterid worms. I found several pictures on other web sites. Each worm has two tentacles, but there are so many of them in one rock that it looked like a spider web.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 03/13/2004, 10:10 AM
Catch and release

I am wrong. Dangit I hate that lol! I guess I should preface stuff with " I think" or IMO. Good call Kevlouie.
Old 03/13/2004, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

It's hard to be right when you don't have a very accurate description to work from.

Another ID problem. I have an old christmas tree rock that has two christmas tree worms in it. All the other holes are filled with another tantacle using worm, but the mouth almost looks like a clam's. Also, some of the tentacles aren't long and thin, but look more like a blob or mesh that extends maybe a quarter of an inch or less. Any ideas?
Old 03/13/2004, 11:33 AM
Catch and release

No idea, can you post a pic?
Old 03/13/2004, 11:39 AM
Premium Member

Barnical maybe?