Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

90G plywood stand

Hello fellow diyers :c)

I'm still planning out my 90G stand and trying to put on paper what I want to build after looking at some of yours stands. I want to build a plywood stand but I want it to have a set of doors on the fron and one on the right hand side. Problem is I'm not sure if the front corner will be strong enough so I was thinking of laminating 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood (shop grade on the inside and maple on the outside)... if I have to add some extra support it will be in hard maple.

I'm attaching a sketch to get some of your ideas to start off :c)

or in PDF

Thanks
Christian
Old 01/10/2008, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

I built a plywood stand for my 125 that is similar. I used 2x2 poplar in the corners for a glue/screw block. I don't think you need to double up the front unless you really want to.

Consider the construction of the stands you've seen for sale at the pet stores... 1x construction, open top, little internal bracing. By going with a good grade of plywood of the same thickness, you are already more stable than the store bought.

For your corner joint I'd recommend a rabbit or rabbit and dado type joint .

Good luck...
Old 01/10/2008, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Hey Chris do you have any photo of the build? Any messurements? :c)
Old 01/10/2008, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

I didn't photo log the build, and I left measurements off that drawing so it was more open to interpretation. I "think" I left ~1-2" lip on the top of the stand around the base of the tank, and it's ~30" tall. The door cutouts were sized so you slide a 20L in with about 6-8" of headroom. The wood I used was 3/4" birch ply, with waterproof titebond II glue and stainless steel screws. After construction and before paint, i coated the whole thing with west system marine epoxy, scuffed it up, gave it about 3 coats of paint, and 2 coats of gloss spar urathane. (makes for very easy clean up) if i were to do it again, I'd lower the inside floor/shelf a bit, and go with substantially smaller bracing for the top. It's overbuilt, and gets in the way of neat/clean plumbing layouts. the stand has been in place for about 4 years and is as rock solid as it ever was.

good luck