View Single Post
Old 08/27/2003, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

FW dip is very stressfull, but the alternative is usually worse. If you have a healthy fish that appears to not have parasites, it will not be harmed by the FWD. If you have an infested and weakened fish, it will not thank you for the FWD but it may be the only thing that gives him relief from the adult stage parasites that are eating him alive. For the record I have never lost a fish ever from doing a FWD.
You must make sure that the FW is matched in ph and temp to the saltwater that the fish is being removed from. Also make sure that the FW is being aerated and don't use a net for transfering the fish out of the FW back to your tank, unless it is a poisonous species. Doing so could trap the newly removed bad guys and transfer back to tank. Use your hand.
Do not get any of the dip water in your tank.
Dips should be at least 5 mins if not 7. You will think he is going to die for the first 3 or 4 minutes, but he will usually get up and swim in the FW before he's finished with the treatment. Like I said, I have never lost anything to dipping but I can assure you I have saved hundreds.

Happy dipping

Lee