Thread: OZONE or UV
View Single Post
Old 01/06/2008, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

I have found over the years that the only way to make sure your display is ich free is to wait at least 2 months. 6 weeks is still taking a chance in my opinion.

As for the fish in QT, they need to remain in QT for at least 2-3 weeks AFTER the last spots or signs of ich are seen to make sure they really do not have ich. I usually keep mine for about a month after the last spots.

Another thing to consider is that hypo does not always work. Plus 6 weeks is the minimum, I would always go 8 weeks myself. If you already have the fish in QT, whats another few weeks to make sure they don't have another outbreak. Although you did say you used copper as well...What level did you keep the copper at?

The problem I see with hypo is that more often then not, people who treat with hypo end up having another outbreak a few weeks or months later. Im really not convinced it is very effective at all.

I see where you are going with this though and I think that adding ozone or UV is never a bad thing. Especially ozone. Anything you can do to increase the water quality will help the fish fight off parasites and keep them healthy.