View Single Post
Old 12/29/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

layer3guru, algae can be a real problem and one which is frustrating when you've tried a lot of things to remedy it. I don't believe myself to be an expert, but I however get the occasional algae breakouts in my tanks and have come up with a small To Do list.

1. Increase circulation in the tank, especially at the water level line where O2/Co2 exchange occurs.

2. Decrease photo period by half--the amount is up to you, however, I find that decreasing by half gradually (i.e. drop photo period by one hour every third day) works for my tanks. My normal photo period is ten hours, so I get that down to 5 hrs in about a week and a half, or so. Leave the photo period set at half for a week or two.

3. Cut food in half, just b/c you don't test and nitrate levels d/n mean that your system is pure--most hobby kits are inaccurate the lower the reading is

and #4 is my recommendation for your tank: don't add purple up. Purple up is basically calcium with trace elements added--these trace elements could be causing your algae concerns.

The good thing about algae is that the problem is usually something you are doing, and can be cured with a modification of your routine.

IHMO, good luck.