View Single Post
Old 12/29/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Green Hair Algae

I know this has been discussed many times here. I have used the search engine as well as google to search but I am feeling really defeated at this time. I have brownish/green hair algae which seems to be taking over. I turn off all the pumps and scrape the walls and change the water about 20 gallons. I have even taken some rock out and scrubbed them with a tooth brush in a 5 gallon bucket of salt water but it continues to come back. For the last 3 weeks I have been changing 20 gallons of water a week. Normal routine was changing about 10 gallons a week which for years seemed to keep my parameters in check. I have a special made acrylic tank that is 100gallons with a 20 gallon sump built in. I have not added anything but hermits as part of my clean up crew. This tank has been up for 3 years now. I have about 90 pounds of live rock in the main tank and small pieces of live rock in the sump. I do have a DSB but I would think if things were going south with it that some of my parameters should be out of whack - correct? I feed frozen cube mysis, brine, cyclopeeze, I mix this up but just one cube a day. The corals are doing great no signs of stress, the fish show no signs of stress either. For fish I have a tomato clown, 2 green chromis, gold spotted goby.

I don't dose anything but a product called PurpleUp to keep my calcium right and thats not very often. I do have a 120gallon RODI unit and a inline TDS meter and the filters are about 2 months old. Water into the TdS meter 226ppm the output of the RO/DI 0 ppm.

I am just out of ideas as to what might be the culprit any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware
Coral life Super Skimmer 220 I know not the best but seems to be doing its job
2 250W MH 13K Hamilton Bulbs 5 months old
2 55W Blue Actinic 5 months old
Return Pump Rio 26 Hyper Flow 1590gph but 1290gph with about 3 feet of head space
Hydor Pump 850gph

Salt I have been using is Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
Test Parameters this morning before the 20 gallon water change
1.025 Salinity
430 Calcium
ph8.2 at night 8.0 with lights.
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0
Nitrite 0
Copper 0