Thread: Nano vs. 90gal
View Single Post
Old 12/25/2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I guess I'd have to move those to an external filter?
Phosban reactors work great for those kinds of media and are supposedly more efficient. They are also cheaper BTW. Two or three of them plumbed together and run by a Maxi-Jet 600 work well.

Quote:
How often do you add trace elements/kalc, etc.?
I never add trace elements. Well, I do once in a while, but not nearly as often as most people do. If I walk past the tank and think "oh I should add some trace to the tank, I'll do it, but that thought doesn't occur that often.

Kalk is added to topoff water at 1/2 tsp. per gallon. My sump has 3 equal compartments and limewater topoff is pumped into the first one so it dilutes. I also have a bit of a recirc. going on the sump. The Rena XP3 intake is placed in the last compartment and the outflow is in the first compartment. That makes about 1/3 of the sump flow go back to the first chamber so when the kalk goes into the tank, it goes in very slowly. You'll also see in the FTS that the locline in the tank isn't pointed at anything living, so if there was a concentrated squirt of kalk, it wouldn't really hit anything.

Sorry about the messy tank. The xenia needs a bit of a trim and everything is a little overharvested for my other tanks.

Last edited by Michael L.; 12/25/2007 at 06:09 PM.