View Single Post
Old 01/04/2008, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Frick-n-Frags
I used to meditate on an archimedes screw (NO that's not a new mixed drink ) to fill a surge bucket in a way to not run everything through an impeller, then cascade the multiple tanks, so each overflows the next

I'm building an "in-wall" tank that is going to use an archimedes screw and "Carlson" surge device. Luckily, I'm putting the filtration system in a dedicated fish room behind the tank because to get four feet of lift, I needed to make the screw 10 feet long! I put the pump together first and tested it with my cordless driver as a temporary motor to make sure it worked. I got about 4000 GPH out of it in a test run, but it maxed out the little motor. I have a permanent gear motor ordered for it and have started work on the tank. I had a small 55 gallon reef tank from 1990 to 1995, but took it down to move, and one thing after another kept me from getting back into the hobby. I'm playing catch up now, and would appreciate any advice you could give regarding skimmerless/non-centrifical pump systems