View Single Post
Old 02/01/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Buddy, you aren't concerned about the sand having anoxic layers by now? Usually I don't worry unless it is over 6 months old, so you're still in the safe zone, but you said cycle and I don't know how it was tied into your livestock situation (if any).

I would try to collect the top inch (the most life will be there), and then place the bulk in your tank and place the top 1" worth on top of that.
The new sand were with the old rocks during cooking stage separated from the sump where my livestocks are. I'm basically starting the second time from scratch not worried about anything else that's why I wasn't in a hurry, but I've added the sand in the DT tonight, thanks for the heads up. My intension this time was to start up with a clean biological system as much as possible, avoiding bad hitchhikers? I'll be adding only a few new live rocks but quarantined and inspected before it goes to my DT. I know it's gonna be impossible but i'll try my best, am I dreamin'? I'm still learning everyday, your inputs are very important to me. Thanks again for all your contributions.