View Single Post
Old 06/16/2006, 10:58 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Also, I know that this is frustrating. And more bad news is it could take a while to get all the algae gone. But once all the algae is gone; you know what's going on in your tank and why; and are doing proper maintenance, then this should solve your algae problems almost indefinitely. Or at least until you slip up Definitely be patient. It might take a few months to accomplish this.

Also, I know it sounds a little unconventional to just let the algae stay in the tank, but think of it this way. It's all a circle of life. When things decompose, it turns into "algae food". The algae then uses it and stores some of it. If the algae dies and is left to rot, it becomes "algae food" too. So, it's a never ending cycle. But if you manually remove it, you are metaphorically lifting out future "algae food" in a concentrated form. Therefore breaking the cycle. But you need to leave some algae (usually people leave things like Chaetomorpha in a refugium) to take any residual "algae food". Eventually, there won't be enough "food" to sustain all the algae, so whatever is in a refugium will take it up before new algae growth can form.

**"Algae Food" is my short way of saying Nitrates, Phophates, Iron, etc that help fuel algal growth.