View Single Post
Old 06/14/2006, 10:33 AM
Ohhh that kind of reefer!

How old are your lights? I had a hair algae out break in my tank after my bulbs went old.

The algae is growing due to phosphates. So, the phosphates have to come from something. Food, water, rocks..

A possible bandaide would be to get some RowaPhos or Phosban and use that to remove the phosphates. Much better than liquid phosphate remover.

I'm concerned that you've lost both the sea hairs, lawn mower blennies and the snails. That isn't usually a good sign. Death creates food for algae. How are your nitrite levels? I'd expect them to be pretty high if you've lost 100+ snails and multiple fish.

Any chance you can buy your own RO/DI unit and mix the water at your house? I'm skeptical that the water you are getting from the LFS is "clean".

How often do you feed? If you're feeding more than once every 2 days, cut back even more.. Feed once every 4 days and even then just a few pinches of food.

Manual removal usually helps the process. Once everythign is inline, your phosphates are down and it looks like the algae is receeding I'd help it along by siphoning it out of your tank. Do a large water change then as well.

Ohh, and buy a Sailfert PO4 test kit. The kit sucks for low end PO4 levels, but my guess is you are not in the low level area.

=Rob