View Single Post
Old 08/09/2005, 09:15 PM
Sea cowgirl

I feel like I am the only person here who has no issues growing phyto.. Isochrysis, Nanno or Tet. ?? Really odd.. I just have a few 2L flasks, an air pump and line and a strip light (40W 6500K) that runs 24hours. I pay attention to the cultures every four or five days when they start to bloom. Split them in half and give away or use the portion and add saltwater and ferts on top of the mother culture. It really hasnt been bad in my experience.

I also started making phyto paste on my own but I have access to some centrifuges so I guess I am cheating that way.

Also, I tested the culture water after I had filtered out the algae cells tonight.. only one of the three had testable phosphates by the spec's terms, and none had testable nitrate. I did just split the culture, so perhaps all the nutrients were being used up anyway.

So I guess I will just continue to pray that my algae farms dont go south? I've been at this about eight months now.. we have no issues culturing diatoms at work either. Oh I should mention we use f/2 medium from Aquatic Eco in the dry mass pack form.

Hmm..
>Sarah