View Single Post
Old 12/30/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

I have to admit after dosing carbon in various forms over the past three months my washed out corals are finally coloring up. Nuisance algae is down to a minimum, but I don't want to rid of it entirely because I want to maintain sufficient food for my sea hare. Because I use ozone I have to turn it off until lights are off to let the bacteria proliferate and that's one more thing I have to do. But it's working. So I don't quite get why Dr. Klines studies at Scripps show the opposite results of what we hobbyist are observing in our own tanks. The argument that carbon dosing feeds bad bacteria as well as the good to the detriment of the tank doesn't quite fly for me either. I had a brown jelly episode going on in my tank which persisted despite siphoning away and water changes. At first I wasn't seeing any difference, but eventually the brown jelly bacteria was out competed by good bacteria which I believe were the result of the carbon dosing. Anecdotal yes, but an interesting observation just the same.
May everyone have equanimity, free from hatred and attachment.