Thread: Help
View Single Post
Old 09/18/2003, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

oama- love the idea of the digital equipment for copper testing! My hubby would die if he knew that I would even consider such a piece of equipment considering the pricetag! If you could only see his face as I explain my elaborate plans to build the most amazing reef tank, as soon as I figure out how to keep my fish alive and disease free! Pretty much, he is just supportive, certain that eventually I will have this fish thing down to a science...

I think as I build up experience I will seriously consider getting this piece of equipment. Honestly, the cu test that I have purchased are a joke. Anyway, I've decided to try my luck with hyposalinity in the QT tank. Do you feel that this will require a longer acclimation of the fish when they are first introduced? I really appreciate you sharing your experience.

Sting- sounds like you've had it with the copper now too. Is this why you added the carbon back in? I've heard good things about polyfilter helping to pull out the copper. If that's what your planning...I'm sure as the copper level goes down then your nitrites and ammonia will go down also.

I had a firefish before and had sand in my tank. The firefish was pretty shy and loved to hide under a rock in the sand. He even made little holes to peek out. I think this is just a normal part of their behavior. If you ever decide to go back to invert friendly, maybe through out your gravel and use sand. Gobies love it and it's pretty entertaining to watch them play..

I do agree with ATJ & Oama about the gravel. Sounds like it is sucking up all the copper. Be careful about picking future fish for this tank. Some fish are copper sensitive, like butterflies. Just a thought...

ATJ- you have done so much research, amazing! Sounds like you use hyposalinity to QT new fish. I would appreciate your advice about how to do this correctly. I'm planning to give this a try when I buy new fish. Please provide details about the acclimation and etc. It seems like they should be acclimated longer due to the low salinity. Would appreciate this information. It just crushes me when I lose a fish it makes me feel sick for days! They are so amazing to me! Anyway, thanks to everyone for sharing experiences!