View Single Post
Old 08/31/2003, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

Dag,
It's hard to tell without a test if it was the ammonia or perhaps just water very low in oxygen. I should say that even though it looks like a neat idea, puting a quarantine tank even in the same room as your display tank is trouble. We don't even quarantine in the same building as our clean fish and use separate staff for both. Cross contamination is very likely in your set up.
Just for interest, why don't you test the ammonia and nitrite on your quarantine. If you have neans of testing D.O. do that as well. What is the rate of water turnover in that tank?
That said, I would recomend that you set up as large of a quarantine as you can (30 gal is good) in a different room with a proper bio filter. I like to use hang on filters. You need to cycle this tank with ammonia chloride or some damsels from scratch. This way you will have a healthy biofilter. Ammonia chloride is ideal as you can maintain the filter without fish. Also your quarantine should not contain any substrate or decoration besides large pvc pipes and fittings. This is because if you choose to use copper to treat, it is rapidly absorbed into calcarious materials.

Do the tests...I'm currious to know what you get. And don't do a quick flush before you test. Test a sample as is.....especially for d.o.

Lee