View Single Post
Old 08/31/2003, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

I agree that quarantine is NOT optional. Breakouts of parasitic attack can occur after some time, especially if all the fish are not properly quarantine prior to adding them to the display. I suspect that you don't keep a cycled quarantine up and running at all times. The most frequent means of importing ich into a system is on infected fish. You really cannot say a fish is not infected unless you take scrapings from the skin and gills and examine them under a microscope. No visible spots to the naked eye does not equal no infection. I prefer to treat all fish with hyposalinity therapy during the initial quarantine period. This benefits the fish in several ways including eliminating any possible ich. It is possible to import ich in the water and tomonts can attach to any hard surface including rock, equipment, glass and yes even the shell of an invert. However, the odds of this happening is much smaller than on a fish. People that simply quarantine all their fish rarely experience and outbreak of ich in the display.
Terry B