View Single Post
Old 08/31/2003, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

Dag,
If you had said that none of your fish had ever had any suspect spots, the noted statement would be true.
Now that I know more about your situation, I can tell you with100% accuracy that you will have another outbreak at some time. If you can't remove the fish then you have a big problem.
It may be that the other fish in the tank are healthy and comfortable enough to be able to fend off the parasite for a while but eventually they will get it as populations explode. Also be aware that changes in the system like adding new fish often stresses out resident fish and may make your chances worse, especially if you have no intention of quarantining/ treating the new fish.

There is a chance that you are not identifying the problem correctly as C.Irritans, and may just have a little lympho. This is viral and rarely deadly. If it looks like a cottony uneven spot or patch don't sweat it.

All that said, the only way that you will ever be sure that your tank is clean is to remove the fish and treat them, leave the tank fish free for 40 days, and quarantine/ treat all future fish. If you decide not to remove the fish (even if that requires a tank tear down) you might as well not tear your hair out worrying about it...it's out of your control.

I really will never understand why keepers are willing to sink thousands of dollars into their tanks but can't seem to justify a hundred bucks for a quarantine tank. I'm not pointing a finger at you Dag, but I would like to see marine fish elevated above disposable status.

Lee