View Single Post
Old 08/28/2003, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

Lee,
Sorry, I do not have a scanner so I only have a paper copy of the study. I have a couple dozen copies of various studies on Cryptocaryon irritans from the scientific journals. I guess a scanner would be a good investment for me. This report is on the subject of manipulating the salinity as a treatment for C. I. It talks about a wide range of salinities including freshwater.
Here is another quote:
" However, in the present study, embedded trophonts did not seem to be affected by a freshwater treatment of the host for as long as 18 h."

There are many advantages to using hyposalinity therapy (I suggest a salinity of 14ppt not to be confused with SG) over copper treatment and it does work very efficiently. The treatment should last three weeks once the therapeutic salinity level is reached. I would encourage you to at least look into it.

BTW, you also asked for further information earlier about an immunostimulant called Beta glucan. Keep an eye out for the September issue of Advancced Aquarist Online (due out about September 15th I think). The editor tells me that they are making it the feature article. The article is called "Beta Glucan as a Biological Defense Modulator." While I am talking about magazine articles, you may be interested (since we also dicussed HLLE in this thread) in a three part series running in FAMA magazine starting in the September issue which is available right now.
Cheers,
Terry B

Last edited by TerryB; 08/28/2003 at 02:36 AM.