View Single Post
Old 01/25/2004, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Intrudah, a freshwater dip is what you want to do, but you needed to do it before you ever put the fish in your tank.

Ich is a crustation and it only takes 2 weeks for a new generation of it to mature. Unfortunately, because you had introduced Ich into your tank, it will always be there, in the live sand. That is where the young mature and where the adults spawn. There is only one way for you to completely remove it from the rock and sand without killing all the other crustations on it. If you can live without having any fish in your tank for, I believe it is at least 6 months, then the Ich that is in the tank will not be able to sustain it's self and all the dorment eggs and adults will die (might want to check on the time from an expert).

Also, just because you cannot see ich on your fish, dosnt mean it is not there. When you see it on the outside, it is because the Ich is heavily populating the fish's gills.

I have read that if you do a freshwater bath of the fish for 3-4 min (not much longer or you can kill the fish), then all the Ich WILL die and fall off the fish.

Sorry for the bad news =/ and I hope your fish get better.