View Single Post
Old 05/25/2003, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Ick in our tank

Thanks Lee and Terry for all the information that you both have provided regarding curing Ick from a display (main) tank. Our Heniochus showed signs of ick just this past week (rather quickly I might add as he was feeding well up til this point and the only change that we had was adding a Volitan Lion) and was not looking good. We treated with Greenex--based upon suggestion by our LFS, because we have a FOWLR and I explained the inventory of the tank to them and the Greenex is what they suggested. Our lion had eaten well the previous feeding, after we treated with the first dose of Greenex, it would not eat at the next feeding (we feed every other day rosey reds and krill), and again the following feeding. It was listless, and not looking good. It died 3 days after treatment and had shown negative signs the following day after first treatment. We stopped the treatment immediately (after seeing the lion's deteriating condition), put in charcoal filter, and did a 10% water change for the 125 gal. tank--we will do 2 more changes within the following week). The Heni's eyes are cloudy but my husband seems to think they are looking a little better. His banner (dorsal fin), is completely disintegrated and part of his pectoral fins are gone. Is this because of the Greenex or due to the disease?
Our yellow polyps are not looking good either and was wondering if this is due to the Greenex? Our condy anemones (2) have been less active as well. We are in the process of putting up a hospital tank (was waiting to get one established when all this happened) and will do it this week. I've learned a tremenduous amount from your posts and I wanted to thank you both because you've given us a few ideas on how we should handle this situation. First and foremost we're putting up our hospital tank, we'll complete our water changes this week, but will the hyposallinity therapy and the garlic feedings help our current fish, below is our current inventory:

1 Clarkii clown, 1 heniochus, 1 saddle-back puffer, 1 snowflake eel, and 1 lawnmower blenny. The rest of the inhabitants are the clean-up crew such as hermit crabs, snails, brittle-starfish, coral-banded shrimp and our corals, such as leather, button polyps, yellow zoanthus, green and frilly mushrooms, gorgonian, and we also have 2 large feather dusters and some baby ones.

How can we save our tank?

Thanks for your help or anybodies input on this situation.

Rhianna