View Single Post
Old 08/31/2003, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Dag,
Can you describe you quarantine set up. Substrate?, Bio filter, How long was it set up for etc.
It is likely that those fish that died were infested with the much more deadly Oodinium if the suffered that quickly. That is if you had a funtioning biofilter on the Q tank. If you didn't they may have been affected by ammonia poisoning.

Can you offer more details?

My insistance that it can and problably will manifest even after a period longer than 6 weeks is based upon my experience with many systems over many years. I certainly have found that reef tanks can go some time without an outbreak, but eventually I have found that it does occur. I have even had outbreaks in reef tanks that only held treated and "certified" fish. My only explaination for that would be an error in treatment, cross contamination from an untreated tank, or perhaps even importation on a new coral. I have no information that supports the importation of protazoa on corals, but as opportunistic as these critters are, it may be possible.
Also, you may have the protazoa but not see it. generally the site of worst infestation are the gills. Without a scraping and microscopic identification, you may never notice several life cycles untill it is a real problem.
I am pleased that you understand the need for a quarantine tank. Let's get some details and figure out what went wrong with its use.

Lee