Thread: Urchin Info
View Single Post
Old 06/28/2007, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Calfo
Hmmm, interesting... I'm looking at our emails with you and see that I wrote you a full paragraph on photo tips for helping others to help you with photo IDs... and that Bob clearly answered your question:

Re: urchin ID - couldn't find it in the archives... Antoine and RMF input
jartanyon wrote:
Found this little guy and thought he might be poisonous...any ideas?
Justin
>IDs from pics are often difficult. If you have the time/interest... do check out some photography forums for advice, too, my friend. With a few good pointers you could greatly improve your image taking. Maybe we can help
here: what kind of camera are you using? (and do get an off-camera cord for that flash to hold it from above, my friend... a huge help right there)
(Good advice)
The problem with the pic sent is that your subject comprises only a fraction of the frame (always get as close to your subject as possible for these types of shots, and in general).
(Ditto)
As for the focus... with stronger light (from above or above-angled) you could increase your shutter speed and likely get a sharper image. Better yet... please use a tripod.
(As well)
Without a clear pic, its hard to say what genus let alone species this might be.
kindly, Anth-<
(is likely a juvenile Eucidaris species... family Cidaridae, not venomous as the toxopneustids...
Bob Fenner)

------------------

Yoru original question is also archived on WWM (we archive everything useful for the benefit of other/fellow hobbyists). Your query and answer have been archived appropriately on the "Urchin identification" page:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/urchinidfaqs.htm

It seems rather innacurate if not unkind that you'd say "Fenner and Calfo didn't even have a clue on what it was," to folks that gave you a fast and personal response to your query.
Ahh, it's ok, he was probably just trying to stroke my ego.

Not to get on your case here... I read another thread(quite some time ago, on another forum) where someone was kinda unhappy with you. It was in regards to your critical eye when it comes to photographs. This other fellow was just sharing some pics(not for ID purposes). His pics were quite nice, at least I thought so. Not the standard, fill the frame with one centered subject type. To me, atleast, that's what it looked like he was going for... Something a little other than the norm. So, is it S.O.P. to critique everyones photography skills so harshly? I realize, you probably view a thousand or more pics every week. Most of them, probably, absolutely terrible. So, I could see where it could get on your nerves. I don't know, it just seems to me you could go a bit easier on folks when it comes to that. Most of us just have crappy digital cameras. For the most part, they get us by just fine.

Also, in regards to Fiji's pic, he did say he was keeping it in a bag. It's kinda tough to get a good shot in a bag.

Hope I didn't offend, or tick you off. It wasn't my intention.