View Single Post
Old 01/06/2008, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Miniatus Groupers are one of the most pushy and aggressive groupers commonly available in the trade. At a LFS, a 4 inch miniatus gobbled down a 5 inch wrasse and then scared all the fish to one corner of the tank. They can get fairly large, and like most groupers, ou shouldnt have the grouper with any fish that is significantly smaller than itself, as it will become an expensive meal.

Acclimation is the same for groupers than any other fish, drip acclimation.

Tips about introduction of the fish should be stated above.

These fish can, and will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, so beware. Another consideration would be its size. I wouldnt recommend anything less than 150 gallons, since it can reach lengths up to 18 inches.

I would introduce this towards the end of your stocklist.

If you purchase the Miniatus from a lfs, if its not eating, dont buy it. If you order it online, offer it krill orsmall pieces of silversides. Groupers are pretty good at eating almost immediately after being moved.

I never had one, but people I know that have had one removed it shortly because either another fish mysteriosly disappeared, or the grouper got extremely territoral, or a combination of both.